The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2008, 12:56 PM

monkeyhouserodge is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fly Fishing Maryland

Good to know. I have been thinking of checking out a little of washington county.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:06 PM

Whitehair is on a distinguished road

Another MD Fly-guy here, usually in the salt around the Eastern Shore. I'm back and forth between the Upper Bay and the Tangier Sound, home and Salisbury University respectively.

Not too much going on in either at this time, though word on the stream is that the Salisbury streams will be stocked soon...
Old 03-29-2009, 03:33 PM

alignm2 is on a distinguished road

I would live to fish Western MD, but I am in Montgomery County and a drive to Garret county is not in the plans. Does anyone know of some viable (read the fishable) streams in Montgomery county? I want to wet a line withour draining my gas tank!
Old 03-30-2009, 08:14 AM

ab4usa is on a distinguished road

Check stocking locations here
Introduction to Maryland's Spring Trout Stocking Schedule

Not aq lot of stocking in Mongomery County but plenty in Frederick.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:18 AM

BelAirSteve is on a distinguished road

Things are finally starting to happen on the Gunpowder. Check out this local flyshop for reports, etc. I go there every time I am on my way to the river. They have a great selection of local flies and they always know what is working from day to day.

BACKWATER ANGLER
Old 09-12-2010, 11:12 AM

gunpowder is on a distinguished road

I love the gun powder, I seem to always catch fish there.

What seems to be working on the gun powder right now as we go from smmer to fall?

Anyone going for big boys with streamers? Any luck?
Old 03-22-2011, 06:42 PM

ab4usa is on a distinguished road

The heavy flows have subsided the rock snot a bit and it may be nymphable. Streamers or wets would be your best bet until the sulphers hatch. That's probably the first 'hatch".
Old 04-11-2011, 11:55 AM

Rob11 will become famous soon enough

Switchfisher is being modest. Check out his site as well. One of the more informative compilations of fishing information in the Mid-Atlantic area. The Coburn and Gelso book is great, the information at switchfisher.com is a positive addition with some exhaustive work compiled over the past several years and truly a labor of love.

Thanks Steve!
Old 07-07-2011, 10:02 AM

smctitan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonebow Inn View Post
Brendan hi: My advice is - go west young man! You are now not too far from Garrett County, where the best trout fly fishing action in the state of Maryland is to be found. 4 major trout fishing rivers - the Casselman, the Savage, the Youghiegeny (Yock) and the north branch of the Potomac are all within a couple of hours drive from you. I am not a fisherman myself, but own and operate a bed and breakfast right on the Casselman River (we have six and a half acres of riverfront on the property, publicly accessible) so I can testify to the great sport here from conversations with the many fisherman who come and stay with us each spring and fall. The Casselman is stocked by the DNR, the Savage has naturally reproducing trout, the Yoch is a mix of both. All the current record size species catches in the state have been landed in Garrett County - what more could you ask (and I didn't even mention Deep Creek Lake which is also very fishable). The Potomac Branch of Trout Unlimited can tell you all you need to know, and we have great guide services here - especially Allegheny Expeditions and Howard Harsch (Spring Creek Outfitter) - check them out on the web. The Wisp Resort at Deep Creek Lake has an authorised Orvis shop on site. Come up I68 and do some fishing- we will be stocking early next month!
I am a new member to this forum, as I recently got back into fly fishing after a few years(this time with heavier gear and targeting freshwater largemouth and smallmouth). I can attest to Stonebow's post. Garrett County is a great fishing environment. I went to school at Frostburg State and have been fishing all of the bodies of water he mentioned for about 12 years now. In fact, my buddies from college and I go back and fish the casselman and savage river every year around March/April. Best of luck to all. I'm always looking for new spots for my kayak and smallmouth flyfishing to any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:15 AM

peteclat is on a distinguished road

Just wondering which flies have been the most effective for you in the gunpowder area during the fall months.