The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Mid-Atlantic Area (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/mid-atlantic-area/)
-   -   Looking for a fellow fly fishing bud (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/mid-atlantic-area/296009-looking-fellow-fly-fishing-bud.html)

fly_guy12955 09-06-2012 09:47 PM

Looking for a fellow fly fishing bud

Anyone live in southwest Virginia that loves fly fishing ? I'm sorta near Wytheville , Virginia. If interested in hooking up for some fishing, just PM me.

Michael

Hardyreels 09-06-2012 10:41 PM

Re: Looking for a fellow fly fishing bud

Hi Michael,

I am far from you but lived in VA for a while. You are within range of Danville and the Dan River, do you fish up that way? As my memory serves, we don't have a large Virginia membership, or at least they are not frequent posters.

Ard

fly_guy12955 10-07-2012 09:48 PM

Ard, I'm in the southwest end of the state, but Danville IS within reach. The really sad part is there is hardly anyone here that fly fishes. Maybe one of the reasons is that 'most' of our trout is stockers and people just say 'I can do that with anything.' I dunno. And if you wade to work the currents, you really get some angry eyes from the bank fishermen with rods proped out waiting for a 'bite' A time or two when I've been questioned was to why I'd fish with a fly rod and have to wade,,,I just say 'I just never got the hang of them spinning reels :)' And folks only use waders there to cross the creek. If wasn't for that, hardly anyone would need them. You'd be surprised at how little some of the bank fishermen know about reading a section of stream and knowing were the good trout are laying. They just 'cast in' all over. I just can't fish the way they do. 'Catching' just isn't all there is in it for me.

noreaster 10-08-2012 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 (Post 489306)
And if you wade to work the currents, you really get some angry eyes from the bank fishermen with rods proped out waiting for a 'bite' You'd be surprised at how little some of the bank fishermen know about reading a section of stream and knowing were the good trout are laying. They just 'cast in' all over. I just can't fish the way they do. 'Catching' just isn't all there is in it for me.

I agree. I hardly call propping up a rod and sitting on your butt fishing, more like lounging. When fishermen are all over the banks its usually time for me to head home. Or come back for the evening fish when they are all packing it in.

swhite1989 10-08-2012 08:20 AM

I lived in Elliston for a long time now I live in Rocky Mount. I still frequent the New River Valley though. Send me a PM and maybe we can get together and do some fishing.

jpbfly 10-08-2012 01:56 PM

Looks like you've got a new fishing bud Michael....it's one of the reasons I love this forum...:)