The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 10:51 PM

cincyspey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Virginia / West Virginia

The Elk is da bomb
Old 03-06-2013, 08:22 PM

carp master is on a distinguished road

the elk is a good place. done alot of fishing at bergoo (ont eh elk). caught my first trout on a fly in that river.

onover in the mountains you couls get into some good water as well. if your coming up from NC, 79 north exit 99 puts you on rt. 33. go east and once you get into elkins shavers fork is the first water you come to. shavers fork of the cheat river to be exact. the fish for fun on the cheat is up around huttonsville. good fishing there.

if you stay on rt. 33, and go over top shavers, a few more miles and you'll come to alpena. turn left at the alpine lodge and your headed to the glady creek, right takes you to bemis which is shavers fork but farther up river. train tracks parallel the river so its easy walking. good fro trout and smallmouth bass when teh water warms up.

past alpena and into harmen. the left road takes you towards davis and thomas. you'll pass dry fork on your right and the road that takes you to red creek on your left. pretty easy access for botrh streams. on into davis and you can fish teh blackwater river. only real good access is right in town or down the dirt road past the shop n save.

the right road at harmen will take you to seneca rocks. lots of little streams along the way. a good spot is gandee creek which comes off of spruce knob. it's in the job/whitmer area (pronounced jobe). down the road further you'll see the ssensca rocks vfd on the left side of the road and white's run turns off of the right. good small stream fishing. pretty good access. on into seneca you can fish seneca creek righ in front of seneca rocks. very scenic on a pretty day. turn left at seneca rocks and you can fish the south fork of the south branch of the potomac for a long ways. about 10 miles from seneca rocks take a right acroos a newer looking bridge. that will take you across north fork mountain and into smoke hole. this is the north fork of the south branch. my favorite place in the whle state to fish. 100' rock cliffs, good fishing, good fish for fun section, and a very good possibilty of seeing bald eagles. nothing better.

i know its alot of info and the directions probably don't make much sense but if you just started driving that way it would all come together. i would suggest a WV gazeteer. lots of good info and then teh names of all the places i mentioned above would make more sense. if you have any questions, feel free to pm me. i'll do what i can
Old 03-07-2013, 06:59 PM

carp master is on a distinguished road

one more thing i remembered today. the dnr has a phone number you can call that will give you a list of the water that was stocked that day. i think you have to call after 6 to get the up to date version. 1-304-558-3399.