The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Mid-Atlantic Area (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/mid-atlantic-area/)
-   -   Virginia / West Virginia (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/mid-atlantic-area/308626-virginia-west-virginia.html)

lostnwilderness 01-21-2013 07:06 PM

Virginia / West Virginia

Virginia / West Virginia

My dad is looking to retire this year so in addition to our fishing around Western North Carolina we are looking to do a couple of long weekend trips to Virginia and West Virginia. I am not trying to hotspot or steal anyone’s secret honey holes, but I am starting to research the areas and looking for some general guidance. We tend to fish smaller wild streams as opposed to big stocked rivers. Both of us love to blue line but Dad is getting older so I have to keep the gradient manageable (even though he still thinks he is 20). Love brook trout but I hear legends of BIG BIG browns… Like I said, I am not looking for anyone’s deep dark secrets just trying to begin my research for the summer. Any advice or direction would be appreciated. PM’s are awesome if you don’t want to post for all of the interweb to see and I will gladly help and have a cold beer waiting for anyone that wants to wander down to North Cackalackie….

Thanks Again!!!
:fishing::fishing::fishing:

jcw355 01-21-2013 08:44 PM

Re: Virginia / West Virginia

Elk Springs resort, West Virginia

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 PM ----------

Harmen cabins,West Virginia

50fish 01-21-2013 09:03 PM

You can get on I-81 around Bristol and head north to Winchester and you will find lots of good trout water on the VA/WV line. There are plenty of wild brook trout streams in the north western part of VA. I live just outside of Harrisonburg and there are a ton of brookie stream on the western slope. You can go up on the Blueridge Parkway and find alot of good water also. The only place I know of to find large browns around here is lake moomaw/jackson river. In the fall the the big fish run up the Jackson but I have little experience with the upper section of the river. Mossy Creek has some decent browns but finding a monster in the public section is pretty tough. If you in the area Mossy is worth wetting a line just because of the name. If you come this far up into VA let me know, I would be glad to help you out.

shotgunfly 01-21-2013 09:41 PM

I often fish with an older friend (late 60's) whose footing isn't what he thinks it is. And I'm like a pig on skates when wading. So, I look for water that's easy to navigate. I'm in Harrisonburg, been fly fishing for 3 years so I tend to gravitate toward 'easier' fishing. Not that I don't mind a hike into the SNP for some tiny brook trout fishing...but that's rare for me.

Mossy Creek Fly Shop can put you on the private section of Mossy Creek. I'm certain you can't wade there so it's all easy going. The public section is a bit tougher (crowded at times). Brian and Colby Trow (the whole team in fact) are good people. Tell them Cardo sent you.

You can also book (but fish unguided) Smith Creek (Suzy Q Farm) through Mossy Creek. I do this a couple times a month. You can wade, but a lot of the fishing there is from the banks. They hold Project Healing Waters or Casting For Recovery events there so access to the water is pretty easy, some spots are VERY easy to hit. You can regularly pull 15-18" rainbows out of there...no problem. It's about 3/4 mile of water. It's limited to 4 rods, but they will close it for 1 or 2 rods.

There is also Beaver Creek ($10/day, 5 rod limit) unguided/public. Big one's in there. Show up at the Ottobine country store early to get a spot. If you go there and it's booked, head to Mossy Creek (public).

Dry River is also a gentle grade. One of the most populated wild brookie waters in Virginia. Some parts are tricky, but I think if you go in at Riven Rock park it will be smooth sailing.

Check em out here:
Virginia Fly Fishing Streams

Albermarle Angler can put you on a section that's right in C'ville proper. I believe you can fish it unguided and it should be easy going. Never been but it sounds good.
Albemarle Angler: Fly Fishing in Virginia, Guided Fishing Trips, Orvis & Barbour Clothing

The above shop can also book you on Big Bend Farm. It's bigger water (check out their site "media" section). It's got a very gentle grade, if any. You can also fish that unguided. I've booked 2 days/2 nights there in April. There is a cabin there stream side.

Rose River farm is my next place to go, limited to 5 rods a day but can be fish unguided. Douglas Dear is a standup guy. He's very involved in Project Healing Waters and Casting for Recovery. They book up fast. They also have some b-u-tiful cabins there. One is right next to a stocked trout pond that you can fish for free. River requires rod fees. Book cabins and rods separately on their site.

About Rose River Farm, a private fly fishing only stretch of water located in Madison County, Virginia

You can head south to Waynesboro which has a new special regulation section on the South River. The shop you want to contact is South River Fly Shop. The Virginia Fly Fishing and Wine Festival is held on the banks of this river. But the best fishing is in the special regulation area. From what I've seen the wading is easy/no grade/easy flow.

South River Fly Shop

There is also a nice B&B down there...
Waynesboro VA Bed and Breakfast - Shenandoah Valley Lodging - 22980

il_wi_fishing 01-22-2013 08:12 AM

great info shotgunfly!

wow, i dont even live there and copied and pasted

:thumbsupu

mcnerney 01-22-2013 09:03 AM

Shotgunfly: Excellent info, I bookmarked that post
That was timely, yesterday I was listening to a podcast that Rob Snowhite does called "The Fly Fishing Consultant Podcast". Awhile back Rob was down on Rose River Farm doing interviews while they were conducting a PHW 2 fly tournamnet. Pretty interesting interview with some of the founders of the PHW organization and how Douglas Dear became involved with the program. I totally agree, Douglas Dear is a standup guy!

lostnwilderness 01-23-2013 06:48 PM

DAAAAHHHHHHHAAAAANNNNNNNNGGGGGGG!!!!

Now that was a post. Thank you very very much. That will definitely get me on point. Much appreciation!!!!

shotgunfly 01-23-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostnwilderness (Post 519400)
DAAAAHHHHHHHAAAAANNNNNNNNGGGGGGG!!!!

Now that was a post. Thank you very very much. That will definitely get me on point. Much appreciation!!!!

No problem. If there is anything else you need lemme know. Just PM me or post. Plenty of water to go around!

il_wi_fishing 01-31-2013 09:45 AM

i stumbled across this article and thought of this thread

VIRGINIA

shotgunfly 01-31-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il_wi_fishing (Post 521992)
i stumbled across this article and thought of this thread

VIRGINIA

Great article by Harry. He's a great guy. Getting up there in years, but aren't we all? Sold me my first outfit when I took my first fly casting class with him.