The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 12:04 PM

MVealey is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie gear question

Hello forum. I've been wanting to get into fly fishing for a few years and now I'm getting serious. I picked up a couple of nice rods and reels from someone getting out of the sport but my question is about the gear you carry. What's the basic I need in my gear bag? I have a couple of spools of different sized tippet, a hemostat, a spare leader (age unknown) and clippers. What else should I be carrying to get me started?
Old 04-09-2013, 12:37 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie gear question

Dry fly floatant
Dry fly desiccant
Indicators
Weight - either split shot or putty
Zip Lock bags - Use this for trash or anything that you can fit into them.
Polarized sunglasses
Cheater magnifying glasses
Hat
Fly Boxes (loaded with flies of course)
Sun Screen

I am sure others can chimb in.

Dennis
Old 04-09-2013, 12:59 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Dennis pretty much covered it for me. But, what fish are you targeting, what kind of water, and what part of the country? My Colorado trout bag might not help much if you're fishing salt. The more info you give the better guidance you can get.

I'd probably replace the leader and possibly the tippet spools. The spools might have a date on the back that is worth checking. Unless the leader and tippet are fluorocarbon it will break down over time especially if exposed to sunlight. Tapered leaders or furled leader and tippet spools aren't that expensive and it is no fun to lose a nice fish because of weak tippet.

Welcome by the way!
Old 04-09-2013, 01:09 PM

MVealey is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice. As for more information. I'll be fishing the Mid Atlantic streams. No salt.

I'm taking the flies I have to my local shop (Backwater Anglers in Monkton MD) and seeing what's worth keeping, what to sell, and what extra I need.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:47 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Hey there, welcome.

I don't really like to take too much stuff when I fish. Couple boxes of flies.
I like to have a nice fixed blade knife for "you never know when you'll need a knife" moments. I have a stainless Mora.
Piece of rubber inner tube to straighten your leader. Some back up leaders, New tippet material. Few split shots. No old leaders, new leaders every year. Plastic bag, bug spray, nippers, stats, floatants, water. Anything else for me becomes a burden. Maybe some trail mix or nut bar.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:25 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVealey View Post
Hello forum. I've been wanting to get into fly fishing for a few years and now I'm getting serious. I picked up a couple of nice rods and reels from someone getting out of the sport but my question is about the gear you carry. What's the basic I need in my gear bag? I have a couple of spools of different sized tippet, a hemostat, a spare leader (age unknown) and clippers. What else should I be carrying to get me started?
If you're starting out then keep it simple. I would add dry fly floatant and line cleaner to the gear you have and you will be good. Throw dry and wet flys and figure out how to use the gear you have first. It's like shooting; get familiar with your gear, how to hang it, and arranged in your personal work space, second nature, etc. Later on read up on nymphing, droppers, etc and then go buy what you need.

I have split shot, indicators, and some other gear I don't use but got because, well I thought I would need it. Start simple and adapt to your fishing environment. Sf

Oh yeah, get some flies.