The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Mid-Atlantic Area (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/mid-atlantic-area/)
-   -   Trout Fishing Near Northern Virginia (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/mid-atlantic-area/322414-trout-fishing-near-northern-virginia.html)

cletus 06-16-2013 07:20 PM

Trout Fishing Near Northern Virginia

Just moved from Oregon to the DC area for a year and looking for trout fishing within a 3-hour drive. I brought 3-8 wt rods with me, I prefer small to medium-sized rivers, but "when in Rome..." PA, NC, and TN trips are a possibility but would like to check out VA and MD first. Suggestions? Thx!

diamond rush 06-18-2013 07:50 AM

Re: Trout Fishing Near Northern Virginia

The best streams in the Shenandoah National Park are less than 2 hours away. Harry Murray's book is the best guide to the area. Don't bother asking for specific streams because they change from year-to-year, and can't support much pressure.

Here is a thread I posted on fishing eastern slope streams this past winter:

SNP in Winter

front royalty 07-24-2013 11:44 AM

Also Passage Creek in Fort Valley, VA. Check out the George Washington National Forest webpage.

yakfisher 07-28-2013 10:15 AM

Pick up a VA gazeteer and look for small streams in the GWNF or the park and just go fish :)

I have had many great days doing just that on streams that probably don't even have names.

cletus 07-28-2013 10:57 AM

Thanks all for the tips. I did hit the Gunpowder in MD once already, nice stream. I plan to get out regularly starting next weekend!

ib me 07-29-2013 04:21 PM

:) You have a lot of good streams on your side of the MT. When you get a chance come on over to the west side. There are some good streams over here.
:D Dennis

missin44 07-31-2013 08:57 PM

Mossy Creek, tailwater of North Branch of Potomac below Jennings-Randolph dam, Savage River tailwater.

Red Owl 08-05-2013 02:43 PM

In three hours you could probably get to Carlisle, PA and Yellow Breeches/LeTort Spring Run- world famous limestone waters.

bms24500 09-18-2013 12:41 PM

The Upper Jackson River in Bath County is the spot for fall trout fishing. Natural Retreats operates Meadow Lane, where they have 2 1/2 miles of privately stocked waters. Big Browns, Rainbows, and some Small-Mouth can easily be targeted on all stretches. They also have a wide variety of accommodations if you are looking to stay overnight. Pretty property, and tons of other places to fish in the area. George Washington National Forest is right next door as well. Check it out!

skinnytrucker 09-18-2013 05:16 PM

I listen to a podcast of a guide that lives in that area and he's always talking about fishing for snakeheads in the Potomac.