The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 03:59 PM

dhaynes is a jewel in the roughdhaynes is a jewel in the roughdhaynes is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Gunpowder junkies..... (Fishing Report)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurovw89 View Post
Little Falls and Bee Tree? Never hard of it
Ok... whip out the google map.... two sites for little falls, both near Parkton, MD. One is at Dairy Road just a little north of Parkton. The parking area is right on the North Central Railroad trail... The trail parallels Little Falls and there are many access points. Walk North toward the I-83 bridge and you'll find plenty of fishing spots.. The other is off Weaver Road. Park at the bridge on Weaver and fish downstream or walk a short distance over to the NCR trail and head North for some nice water. You can also fish Little Falls easily at White Hall or downstream where it merges with the Gunpowder off BlueMount Road. You can also fish in downtown (lol) Parkton!

Bee Tree is easily accessed at Bentley Springs (google it). There is a parking area for NCR trail users. BeeTree runs just beside the parking area but it is best, IMHO, to walk down the trail aways to where Little Falls and Bee Tree merge... Be careful around there, however, as there are some landowners who do not appreciate fisherman too awfully much

IN fact, look up the North Central Railroad Trail and view the trail. Much of the trail provides great access from Monkton to Freeland, MD.
jgros001 likes this.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:50 PM

only adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the rough

Bee tree and Little Falls? no fish there
Old 12-01-2013, 12:27 PM

only adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the rough

Are you still fishing it? Its been pretty good.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hey there,

Nice report and beautiful photos, I love seeing those brown trout. The place where you went and got skunked.......... It happens no matter where you are. I have fished places here that without a doubt have trout and plenty of them but for whatever reason I can't get one to budge

Great post!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-01-2013, 08:41 PM

siege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud of

Thanks for sharing your day on the water with us. I enjoyed the pictures and the report. Sitting here tonight in my lazy boy, I felt like I was seeing the stream as your camera saw it. Keep 'em coming
eurovw89 likes this.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:08 PM

noutdoorsmen94 is on a distinguished road

I just recently moved to MD and have been looking for good waterways. and all iv heard is Gunpowder and Potomac. And as I can see all you guys fish the gunpowder so your probably best to ask. Im used to small mountain streams up in PA where I moved from. Would a 2 wt fish fine here or do I need to go bigger?
"He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman."
-Norman Maclean "A River Runs Through It"

Nate
Old 01-28-2014, 04:13 PM

dhaynes is a jewel in the roughdhaynes is a jewel in the roughdhaynes is a jewel in the rough

Gunpowder is a nice stream and you can do a 2wt just fine but I suspect you will think about a 4wt before too long.... From Westminster, however, try Morgan's Run not too far from you, Beaver Creek in Hagerstown, Big Hunting Creek and Owens Creek just North of Frederick. All of those are small steams and well suited to your 2wt rod. The Potomac, the part nearest you, is small mouth territory and a big river. I suspect you would want a 5 wt or more there.... but, that's just my humble opinion...
Old 01-28-2014, 07:42 PM

noutdoorsmen94 is on a distinguished road

thank you. greatly appreciated. I defiantly want to expand my arsenal. im happy with the small streams but everyone wants to go bigger. so I think I might just get a 6 wt. that way I can use it on the Potomac and still go up north to the home turf and try some steelhead fishing as well. from the pictures i saw and the research iv done i thought the 2 wt would be fine but i didn't know if there was any monster fish people just weren't talking about. thanks for your input. im sure ill end up buying a 4 wt at some point. cant ever have to much fishing stuff
"He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman."
-Norman Maclean "A River Runs Through It"

Nate
Old 07-05-2014, 10:19 PM

eurovw89 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaynes View Post
Ok... whip out the google map.... two sites for little falls, both near Parkton, MD. One is at Dairy Road just a little north of Parkton. The parking area is right on the North Central Railroad trail... The trail parallels Little Falls and there are many access points. Walk North toward the I-83 bridge and you'll find plenty of fishing spots.. The other is off Weaver Road. Park at the bridge on Weaver and fish downstream or walk a short distance over to the NCR trail and head North for some nice water. You can also fish Little Falls easily at White Hall or downstream where it merges with the Gunpowder off BlueMount Road. You can also fish in downtown (lol) Parkton!

Bee Tree is easily accessed at Bentley Springs (google it). There is a parking area for NCR trail users. BeeTree runs just beside the parking area but it is best, IMHO, to walk down the trail aways to where Little Falls and Bee Tree merge... Be careful around there, however, as there are some landowners who do not appreciate fisherman too awfully much

IN fact, look up the North Central Railroad Trail and view the trail. Much of the trail provides great access from Monkton to Freeland, MD.
thanks would love to get up there some day.....so is it stocked or the fish go up stream?

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by only adipose View Post
Are you still fishing it? Its been pretty good.

Click the image to open in full size.
great fish...where did ya pull it from?
Old 07-06-2014, 07:55 PM

daveinmd is on a distinguished road

I hope to be hitting a stretch just south of the dam tomorrow morning. The C/R section. I also hope to scout out some other areas including maybe Parkton. It's about an hour north of me so not too bad. I hate the beltway traffic but if I leave early enough I miss it.

I've had good days on Big Hunting Creek before. Owens Creek I haven't been too impressed with but I only fished it twice I believe. I need to try Little Hunting Creek and Little Gunpowder River.