The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 03:15 PM

eurovw89 will become famous soon enough
Default Gunpowder junkies..... (Fishing Report)

Been up to the Gunpowder a few times in the past month....done really well in the evening hours just about an hour before dark. Caught em on Caddis, ants and sulphurs. All were caught in a part of the stream about 100yards or less, and near the most south end of the 7miles catch-n-release (which all I hear is go north young man lol)

I hear that nymphing and using wets are a good way to come up with the biggins.......so Im trying to get into different tactics so does anyone have any suggestions or pointers.

Click the image to open in full size.

Probably heading out tonight as well

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

Also....went to Falls Rd (3rd times and sunked) probably walked about a mile up stream to this beautiful site (the same day as the above pictures):

within 3mins after taking this picture the heavens unleashed on me for about 20-25mins. Fished for about an hour and nothing....then headed to my money hole on the southern end of the C&R
Old 07-16-2013, 04:52 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Gunpowder junkies..... (Fishing Report)

Great report & pictures! I haven't been up there in years. About time I start getting back into it. My oldest son & family just moved into their "new (to them)" house in Monkton. He's only about a mile from the river & has expressed some interest in trying some fly fishing!

Even though I haven't been there in awhile, I have fished the Gunpowder many times. I wouldn't overlook streamers or leeches, small crayfish patterns, or terrestrials this time of year.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 07-17-2013, 06:22 AM

Hey Jim thanks for your response......Im just a little jealous of you son right, I love that area.

Went upstream of the Falls Rd Bridge yesterday saw plenty of fish....threw brassie, hairs ears, emergers, drys...and lost one and missed one......I left my streamers, and crayfish patterns in the truck. Saw one other guy fishing and thats its.

I have never had any luck up....but heard nothing but good things....guess im just not used to the fast water. Like I said before I have much more success downstream a ways, as you can see from the pictures.

If you ever want a fishing buddy let me know. Keep in touch
defishing likes this.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:08 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Sounds good to me! I would enjoy getting together with you sometime & seeing what we can find. I'll be a bit rusty I'm sure, as I haven't done any trout fishing in many years either. I always liked the fly only area just below Prettyboy dam. When I was a kid, I would go up & fish the Gunpowder for Smallmouths, Laregmouths or whatever I could catch. I used to fish the area near Rt 40, Rt 7 & Rt 1 a lot. There were some trout too, but mostly the bass & panfishes. Back then, there was places to park along the roads & access was much easier. Now, I guess that's not allowed.

That was before the river was the famous trout stream it is now.

My wife & I was up to my son's house last Saturday. The river looked a bit muddied from all the rain at Monkton Rd & there was a lot of folks with float tubes.

Float tubes hatches are not something I ever enjoyed fishing!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 07-17-2013, 10:25 PM

only adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the rough

Keep doing what your doing looks like you are doing fine. You should be able to catch fish doing any of the mentioned methods but if you getting fish on drys, keep it going. You can always nymph, streamer fish, or even swing wets- enjoy the dry fly fishing! All of the catch and release is great! If the tubers get to be to much then fish above falls, but if not I wouldn't even bother. Above falls probably gets the most pressure and the rest of that river is just as good. Don't be afraid to fish even further down river than the catch are release. The 2-a-day section has plenty of wild browns too! Looks like you are catching some typical gunpowder fish, there are some big ones but they are few and far between, But keep at it and you will get one!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:59 AM

dhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
My wife & I was up to my son's house last Saturday. The river looked a bit muddied from all the rain at Monkton Rd & there was a lot of folks with float tubes.

Float tubes hatches are not something I ever enjoyed fishing!
During these hot summer days, Saturday and Sunday are tough fishing...Tubers, kayakers, canoeists, hikers, dog-swimmers, and families playing in the water turn the GP into a real zoo, particularly below Masemore Road... We've shifted our fishing until evening on weekdays when the pressure is much, much less... Rainy, overcast days keep a lot of the fair-weather water users off too... The water at Monkton often runs a lot more turbid as it gets all the water from Little Falls entering at Blue Mount Road... Its not rare for the water in the park to be gin clear and the water at Monkton to be very murky....

If your son wants to learn (and you don't want to be the instructor), Phil Gay, who lives right on the river in Monkton, is a guide and an excellent instructor. The folks at Backwater Anglers in Hereford and Great Feathers just down the road in Sparks are good folks too....
Old 07-18-2013, 06:16 AM

Yea I have fished the weekend once a few years back and it was a Sunday......never again. I fish the weekday evenings...which is very few tubers if any. I have yet csught a bow on the fly yet and was hoping falls rd would would produce. I think on every 3rd trip ill head to falls road.

Whats is the differences between swinging wets and nymphing? I think it more exciting catching fish on the dry.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:08 PM

only adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the rough

nymphing- larval/nymph stage of insect usually at a dead drift. swinging wets- usually adult/emerger underwater using the current to move it thru the water column. Very basic explanation but you get the jist im sure...
Old 08-29-2013, 10:24 AM

jgros001 is on a distinguished road

Great photos. Being new to the sport, I have trouble up closer to the dam near to the Falls Rd parking area - I haven't figured out fast water yet. My best success has been the Glencoe Road area (I have found that there aren't that many kayakers and tubes that low).

Also to avoid the crowds, I've been heading to Little Falls and Bee Tree.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgros001 View Post
Great photos. Being new to the sport, I have trouble up closer to the dam near to the Falls Rd parking area - I haven't figured out fast water yet. My best success has been the Glencoe Road area (I have found that there aren't that many kayakers and tubes that low).

Also to avoid the crowds, I've been heading to Little Falls and Bee Tree.
Little Falls and Bee Tree? Never hard of it