The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By yonder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 06:03 PM

catchemall is on a distinguished road
Default Panfish Help

I have been a casual fly fisher for about 2 years now. I have a redington crosswater 8wt that i use to target bass on the potomac river. Recently I went on a guided trout fishing excursion through west virginia and this inspired me to purchase a 5wt rod. I bought a redington pursuit package and it should arrive by monday. There is a nice small stream with largemouth bass, bluegill, smallmouth, chubs, etc. that runs through my back yard. The bass are a blast on my 8wt. I would like to target the bluegill and fallfish with my new 5wt. My question is what are you guys favorite panfish flies? I have used woolly buggers and they work well buy I would like to expand my horizons. What size flies should i use, Im thinking 10 and 12. What leader and tippett? Will a 5x leader and tippett be fine? Thanks Guys.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:44 PM

enolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really nice
Default Re: Panfish Help

You can have a blast making flies for panfish because they are not picky at all.
Grubs, worms, nymphs, hellgrammites, scuds, bees, spiders.

I'll pull my box apart and take some pics for you. When I started out, I would make grubs with yarn and thread for ribbing and caught TONs of em on those

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 08-07-2013, 08:16 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

here's a great thread for ya-
go-to flies for 'gills?

casey

ARFE
Old 08-08-2013, 05:26 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Sooner or later........you will discover the Redington 8'6" 3 weight, and dry flies for bluegill..........black ants, mosquito patterns, gnats, etc........and you will slide down the slippery slope with the rest of us.......!!!

My 70 year old mother, insists that I tie her up a few dozen ants and gnats, every year, so she can be ready for the bluegills on the local mill pond....she also gives the catfish and crappie a hard time with live minnows and cut shad!!!

She also taught me how to hold a fish in front of the camera......with arms fully extended!!!

Click the image to open in full size.
diamond rush likes this.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton

Last edited by yonder; 08-08-2013 at 05:43 PM.