The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By diamond rush

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 05:15 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default Shennandoah NP

Hi, still planning a trip. What I am now thinking is I can get to Skyline Drive early enough in the afternoon to set up camp and do a few hours of fishing (This will be end of September) If you are on Skyline Drive and park there and hike downhill, what are some fairly easy to reach trout streams? Are these streams worth fishing? Thanks.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:31 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Shennandoah NP

No trout in SNP...carry on.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:33 AM

diamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of light

Best trout fishing in the world, imho.

All the streams are easy to reach going downhill. It's the hike back up that sucks. :P If you're on Skyline, I'd recommend heading west. The western slope streams get less pressure than the eastern facing ones.

All the water in the park holds brookies. Find somewhere with good flow and as far from a parking lot as you can stomach and you'll do just fine.

Harry Murray's book is a great read. The guide stations sell it on Skyline.

Trout Fishing in the Shenandoah National Park: Harry W. Murray: 9780962255502: Amazon.com: Books Trout Fishing in the Shenandoah National Park: Harry W. Murray: 9780962255502: Amazon.com: Books
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:32 PM

ib me is on a distinguished road

If you are going to do some camping I would hit Big Run.Its around the 80 mi. marker. About a 2 mile hike down to the stream.BUT well worth the trip. Harrys book on fishing the drive is very good. It will help answer a lot of your questions. Good luck enjoy & post pictures of your trip
Dennis
Old 09-18-2013, 12:04 PM

bms24500 is on a distinguished road

If you are in the Shenandoah region of Virginia, you should checkout the Jackson River in the Bath County region. The Lower Jackson is ideal for kayak floats, and a decent fishery. I've mostly caught Fall Fish on that stretch, but still makes for a fun trip. If you are looking to do some trout fishing, there is no better place than on the upper Jackson River. Natural Retreats operates Meadow Lane, which is a privately stocked 2 1/2 mile stretch of river. They also have a variety of accommodations just steps from the river. It's the best fishing I've experienced in Virginia. If you get a chance, check it out! Late September to early November is prime-time.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:21 PM

lil_ol_angler_me is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Owl View Post
Hi, still planning a trip. What I am now thinking is I can get to Skyline Drive early enough in the afternoon to set up camp and do a few hours of fishing (This will be end of September) If you are on Skyline Drive and park there and hike downhill, what are some fairly easy to reach trout streams? Are these streams worth fishing? Thanks.
lots of good waters there...small but good check out Fairy Stone National (State?) Park on the western VA border great lake...good camping numerous local streams plus you can look for Fairy Stones

Also Sugar Hollow Reservoir in Crozet on the edge of the Shenandoah (actually if you drive off the shoulder on the right you are in The Geo Washington Nat forest) it's a small lake Very deep holds trout and some HUGE Crappies (I love a fried Crappie filet sandwich) no boats..no camping but accomodations are close by
Old 01-24-2014, 02:10 PM

lexfly is on a distinguished road

Another vote for Harry Murray's book. Also, I would suggest calling his shop or emailing him. I have only fished SNP twice (Big Run and White Oak canyon) but he was super helpful both times.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:33 PM

Harrys book is great & if you call him he will be a great help. There are more streams that can be named.White oak is great,Jeremery's run is also good just to name a couple.
Dennis
Old 01-25-2014, 10:22 AM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

Well a family emergency about a month ago took me to central New York and I go up I-81 so I stopped by Edinburg to see/visit Harry Murray who is a good guy. Too cold to fish.
I can get all the excellent trout fishing I want in the smokies but they are rainbows and what I want is to catch some brook trout. When I lived up north everything was brown trout. I'm ashamed to admit it but I've only caught one brook trout in my life (Big Springs, PA) and it was August and it had only a little red/orange on the belly. Still a pretty fish.
So, what is attracting me to SNP is Brookies. I had thought about a fall trip as their colors are supposed to be best then. If the fishing is good in the fall- that may still be the plan- catch mountain trout/brookies at the height of their spawning colors.
I need to face what I have to do. If it is a 2 mile hike down hill then that is that, I must do some walking and get in shape, maybe back pack down and stay overnight if I need to fish near sundown. What ever gets me the best chance.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:41 PM

If you are going to pack in I would do Big Run around mile marker 80 or so. Its about a mile or so down.Find a good site & enjoy a full day on the stream it is well worth it. If you want a couple short trips try the east side of the drive
Dennis