new to fly fishing large mouth bass

nsmith3191

Reaction score
hi im brand new to fly fishing bass and ive done alot of research but im trying to figure out what flies would be good for this time of year for some bass and maybe some carp. I have the following flies: green and black wolly bugger, cone head bunny muddler, black and white pepper popper, and a couple clouser minnows.
thanks!

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 PM ----------

by the way, im in the Northern Va area fishing a few places between Ft belvoir and Quantico for anyone local.

ted4887

Reaction score
One of the best things about bass is that they aren't overly picky. Some of my favorite flies for them would be: Barr's Meat Whistle, Dahlberg Divers, Clousers, Decievers, and Wolly Buggers. If your fishery has them, crayfish flies are great choices too.

M

mridenour

Buggers are my favorite for bass. I tie up some gawdy, ugly ones that seem to work better than just a plain olive or black one. Get some flashabou in there and some rubber legs and you are good to go. If you don't tie your own, standard buggers will catch LOTS of fish.

Try different stripping techniques just like you would try different retrieves using spinning gear and a plastic worm. Changing the level the fly is in under the water really attracts the fish. Stripping and pausing produces a lot of strikes. Sometimes a nearly steady retrieve works best. If you are skilled catching bass with other tackle, simply adapt those skills to your fly fishing gear.

There are lots of other flies that work. Experiment, bass are really cooperative. They are a great fish to hone your fly fishing skills on because you will catch lots of fish.