The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 10:08 PM

only adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the rough
Default What Rivers Near US Have Stream Side Camping?

I am in Baltimore and I am looking for new places to fish on weekend trips. What other Rivers, beside the Savage, have stream-side camping or camping really close?
Old 10-16-2013, 05:55 AM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What Rivers Near US Have Stream Side Camping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by only adipose View Post
I am in Baltimore and I am looking for new places to fish on weekend trips. What other Rivers, beside the Savage, have stream-side camping or camping really close?
Many in WV. My favorite now is the Elk River.

https://sites.google.com/site/elkspringsresortwv/
Old 10-16-2013, 04:36 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

If you get to Oregon: "Susan Creek Campground" (run by the BLM) on the Umpqua River. In the evening five or six 'camp sites (tents to full on Motor Homes, didn't make a bit of difference) doing 'pot luck' dinners and sipping wine as we chatted around a large fire after dinner.

Where to fish tomorrow? Or just to flop out in the river on a hot day. Context for fishing: First or last 'light' or forget about it save for dumb luck.

Kids at the tables playing card games via Colman Lanterns. "Sumores" time, hand shakes/hugs, then off to bed. Depending upon the time of the year 'we fellows' would collect at '0500' and be on the river before day light. Thermo's full of black coffee.** Back by 0800 for breakfast then back out at 'dusk' for another go.

Sometimes the main course was fresh Steelhead. Had a Weber BBQ in the MH that I'd carry over to 'his' camp site' if he was the 'Host' for the evening.
fae

** I got to be the 'coffee man' as I could kick on the generator and brew two large pots in minutes and another huge 'chuge-chug' going on the stove top. lOVED the sound of that guy. Chug, plurp, chug, blurp into the glass thingie on top as the coffee 'perked.' Fill up the Termo's with boiling hot water, heat up and pour out and in the coffee. Stayed hot for hours that way.

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

Speaking of 'old' .... Lab just walked into my office DEMANDING treats. Darned thing has his 'act' down pat; short of a "Sandy, stop it!" no way can ignore 100 pounds of 'fluffy puppy.' Jump up and down, roll over, one foot away, banging his head ageist your leg, and looking you straight in the eye ... no 'blinks.'

His "problem" is that's it only 2:27 in the PM and his dinner time isn't until 4.

Wrong answer from his perspective.

fae

Last edited by fredaevans; 10-16-2013 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Additional thought.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:49 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

[/COLOR]Speaking of 'old' .... Lab just walked into my office DEMANDING treats. Darned thing has his 'act' down pat; short of a "Sandy, stop it!" no way can ignore 100 pounds of 'fluffy puppy.' Jump up and down, roll over, one foot away, banging his head ageist your leg, and looking you straight in the eye ... no 'blinks.'

His "problem" is that's it only 2:27 in the PM and his dinner time isn't until 4.

fae[/QUOTE]

And your still sitting there. It sounds like my Golden and prison mutt. You got to love them.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:29 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
[/COLOR]Speaking of 'old' .... Lab just walked into my office DEMANDING treats. Darned thing has his 'act' down pat; short of a "Sandy, stop it!" no way can ignore 100 pounds of 'fluffy puppy.' Jump up and down, roll over, one foot away, banging his head ageist your leg, and looking you straight in the eye ... no 'blinks.'

fae

And your still sitting there. It sounds like my Golden and prison mutt. You got to love them. [/QUOTE]

Hear you. I sleep in shifts. Never got out of the military 4 on 4 off even at 71. 11:25 pm at the moment. Sandy is flaked out on top of the bed and I'll watch the late night news and 'cuddle up.'

Dog: Snorke/siff/wiggle/ butt jammed up against my chest and off to 'Dream Land' for both of us.

fae
Old 10-17-2013, 07:53 AM

diamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of light

I'm a huge fan of the Shenandoah National Park. Lots of opportunities for camping just a couple hours from Baltimore. They don't allow fires, though, so winter camping is a bit rough.