The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Mid-Atlantic Area (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/mid-atlantic-area/)
-   -   Need Help: Mechanicsburg PA (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/mid-atlantic-area/334879-need-help-mechanicsburg-pa.html)

catchemall 10-20-2013 05:39 PM

Need Help: Mechanicsburg PA

Hello all, next fall I will be attending school just outside of Mechanicsburg PA. I was wondering what fly fishing opportunities the area has to offer, especially for trout or smallmouth. Not asking for secret holes or specific spots just good streams, rivers and areas in general. I also would appreciate any local knowledge on how to fish them and when. Thanks in advance. Feel free to shoot me a PM.:)

Hardyreels 10-20-2013 05:46 PM

Re: Need Help: Mechanicsburg PA

You'll be close to the Yellow Breeches creek and there just happens to be a nice fly shop right there in Boiling Springs as well as a terrific pub / restaurant at The Boiling Springs Hotel. For the most challenging fishing for trout in the State it's a short drive from the Springs down York Rd. to reach the Letort Spring Creek from Bonnybrook Quarry down to where it flows into the Park at Carlisle. There are others but I'm not as familiar with them and should mention that much has changed at Letort in the 35 years since I first visited this stream. Still, it's fishing and one to put on your short list.

Up the road a piece at Dauphin PA. (check your map) there is a road that leads out to Clarks Creek. Mostly a stocked stream but a good place for more challenging fishing. Those are a couple off the top of my head, enjoy.

Ard

greased line swinger 10-20-2013 06:37 PM

The Susquehanna and Juniata are nearby smallie rivers.

enolaeagle 10-20-2013 07:10 PM

Outside of Mechanicsburg? Are you attending Messiah?

catchemall 10-20-2013 09:10 PM

Thanks guys, and yes I'll be at Messiah.

k9mark 10-21-2013 11:47 AM

I was raised in Mechanicsburg and spent the first 23yrs of my life there. I spent many summers fishing the Conodequinet creek for smallies, rock bass, sun fish, blue gill, carp, and the occasional catfish. For trout it was the yellowbreaches and letort. But dont rule out driving some to Penns Creek either. Its been a long time and I dont remember some of the names of nearby streams and creeks. But goggle Pennsylvania fly fishing and you'll hit some good boards like this one. I played church softball many times at Messiah. Good luck to you.

enolaeagle 10-21-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catchemall (Post 603316)
Thanks guys, and yes I'll be at Messiah.

Shoot. In the midst of trout season, you can fish right there :D I caught a few nice ones right at the campus!

All up and down 114 there's good spots (Simpson Park area, Old Forge Road at the golf course area, Lower Allen community park, Spanglers Mill road access etc...)

There's a well stocked area behind the Sheepford Crossing neighborhood but I stay away from there. .. too many spinner junkies there.

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

I have some private property areas that I fish for bass but the West Fairview (Enola) boat access is good. I venture up the Cond. Creek from there and usually have a good time fishing streamers in the channels.

catchemall 10-22-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enolaeagle (Post 603572)
Shoot. In the midst of trout season, you can fish right there :D I caught a few nice ones right at the campus!

All up and down 114 there's good spots (Simpson Park area, Old Forge Road at the golf course area, Lower Allen community park, Spanglers Mill road access etc...)

There's a well stocked area behind the Sheepford Crossing neighborhood but I stay away from there. .. too many spinner junkies there.

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

I have some private property areas that I fish for bass but the West Fairview (Enola) boat access is good. I venture up the Cond. Creek from there and usually have a good time fishing streamers in the channels.

Thanks man! Thats awesome!