The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 05:39 PM

catchemall is on a distinguished road
Default Need Help: Mechanicsburg PA

Hello all, next fall I will be attending school just outside of Mechanicsburg PA. I was wondering what fly fishing opportunities the area has to offer, especially for trout or smallmouth. Not asking for secret holes or specific spots just good streams, rivers and areas in general. I also would appreciate any local knowledge on how to fish them and when. Thanks in advance. Feel free to shoot me a PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Need Help: Mechanicsburg PA

You'll be close to the Yellow Breeches creek and there just happens to be a nice fly shop right there in Boiling Springs as well as a terrific pub / restaurant at The Boiling Springs Hotel. For the most challenging fishing for trout in the State it's a short drive from the Springs down York Rd. to reach the Letort Spring Creek from Bonnybrook Quarry down to where it flows into the Park at Carlisle. There are others but I'm not as familiar with them and should mention that much has changed at Letort in the 35 years since I first visited this stream. Still, it's fishing and one to put on your short list.

Up the road a piece at Dauphin PA. (check your map) there is a road that leads out to Clarks Creek. Mostly a stocked stream but a good place for more challenging fishing. Those are a couple off the top of my head, enjoy.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-20-2013, 06:37 PM

greased line swinger is on a distinguished road

The Susquehanna and Juniata are nearby smallie rivers.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:10 PM

enolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really nice

Outside of Mechanicsburg? Are you attending Messiah?

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 10-20-2013, 09:10 PM

Thanks guys, and yes I'll be at Messiah.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:47 AM

k9mark is on a distinguished road

I was raised in Mechanicsburg and spent the first 23yrs of my life there. I spent many summers fishing the Conodequinet creek for smallies, rock bass, sun fish, blue gill, carp, and the occasional catfish. For trout it was the yellowbreaches and letort. But dont rule out driving some to Penns Creek either. Its been a long time and I dont remember some of the names of nearby streams and creeks. But goggle Pennsylvania fly fishing and you'll hit some good boards like this one. I played church softball many times at Messiah. Good luck to you.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:45 PM

enolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchemall View Post
Thanks guys, and yes I'll be at Messiah.
Shoot. In the midst of trout season, you can fish right there I caught a few nice ones right at the campus!

All up and down 114 there's good spots (Simpson Park area, Old Forge Road at the golf course area, Lower Allen community park, Spanglers Mill road access etc...)

There's a well stocked area behind the Sheepford Crossing neighborhood but I stay away from there. .. too many spinner junkies there.

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

I have some private property areas that I fish for bass but the West Fairview (Enola) boat access is good. I venture up the Cond. Creek from there and usually have a good time fishing streamers in the channels.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 10-22-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enolaeagle View Post
Shoot. In the midst of trout season, you can fish right there I caught a few nice ones right at the campus!

All up and down 114 there's good spots (Simpson Park area, Old Forge Road at the golf course area, Lower Allen community park, Spanglers Mill road access etc...)

There's a well stocked area behind the Sheepford Crossing neighborhood but I stay away from there. .. too many spinner junkies there.

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

I have some private property areas that I fish for bass but the West Fairview (Enola) boat access is good. I venture up the Cond. Creek from there and usually have a good time fishing streamers in the channels.
Thanks man! Thats awesome!