The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 01:34 AM

strap44 is on a distinguished road
Default new to fly fishing

I just started getting into fly fishing last spring, been fishing my whole life. I primarily fish Penns creek, but well below the "good" sections. I typically fish below where laurel dumps into Penns, the hidden gems where the old trout hide. But looking for advice on public access points (parking or walk in only) between Weikert and Coburn. Or recommendations for other center county creeks? In a week or 2 im head in to state college to TCO and fly fisherman's paradise for some gear. Maybe hit the feathered hook on the way

Also is anyone out fishing in this arctic weather? The season and hatches cant come soon enough.

Any suggestions for access point or hidden gems worth the hike are much appreciated
Old 01-29-2014, 02:26 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: new to fly fishing

Hello & welcome to the forum,

We have a few members in your area, I used to fish Penn's Creek for many years as well as many others. Now days my advice may be outdated because of development; I haven't fished there for 12 years and things change. I hope you'll stick around and post with this group, it's always good to hear from a PA. guy.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-29-2014, 05:33 AM

noutdoorsmen94 is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome.

I just moved down to MD from North Central PA so I know of the areas you are talking about. good fishing. didn't get to fish in that area often. Think I fished down in State College 2 times. I'm new to the site as well and have already met some really nice and knowledgeable people. Hope you stick around
"He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman."
-Norman Maclean "A River Runs Through It"

Nate
Old 01-29-2014, 06:17 AM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Hi and Welcome to the forum. Great place and great people, enjoy
Old 01-29-2014, 07:35 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum! Sorry I can't help with locations to fish in your area.
I've been out twice in the last couple weeks, but the wx here in Wyoming hasn't been all that bad.

Larry

Old 01-29-2014, 07:41 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

If you are a life-long fisherman, you already have the skills to be a great fly-fisherman. You know how to find the fish. Now you just have to figure out how to get the fly where they are.

I went fishing a couple weeks ago. The temps warmed quite a bit for us, though, and the coldest we had to deal with was 19. A few icy guides but the worst part was the wind. Still managed to catch a lot of fish. I'm looking forward to getting a couple more outings in before spring gets here.

Welcome and good luck with the answers to your other questions. Lots of good guys here to get intel from.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:58 PM

strap44 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the open arms. Was trolling the site last night seems like i made a solid decision to join. Great sources of information and reviews on gear.

Again thanks.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:45 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

to the forum,as you've already seen...tons of infos and great people here