The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By powderfinger
  • 1 Post By toxicfly
  • 1 Post By powderfinger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 09:42 AM

ibcrewin is on a distinguished road
Default Getting ready for Spring 2014 - Central and North New Jersey

Hi all.

It's just about time for the state to start stocking the trout and I want to be ready for opening day in April.

What kinds of flies should I be stocking up on? What works for stocked trout around here in NJ? I've heard a stocked trout's diet is a little different from a wild trout and since it's early in the season i'm not sure what I should be using.

I fished a lot last summer and fall for bass and pan fish but this is my first spring fishing for trout. I'll be fishing lakes and streams around I-78 if that helps.

Thanks in advanced!
Old 03-18-2014, 11:55 PM

eman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Getting ready for Spring 2014 - Central and North New Jersey

It all depends on the situation you always want to have bead head nymphs in a variety of colors along with small dry flies and a few mediumsand a couple streamers just in case also you should try to find out what is hatch is going on in your area
Old 03-24-2014, 09:11 AM

powderfinger is on a distinguished road

throw junk for numbers, eggs, sucker spawn, san juans. I really like the guides choice hares ear,14 and 16. try small clousers and slump busters ,size 12,s , to resurrect the bite from time to time. oh barr;s BWO emerger as well,# 14.16,,,good luck.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:08 AM

ibcrewin is on a distinguished road

Alright! Cool stuff. Thanks!
Old 04-01-2014, 08:18 AM

toxicfly will become famous soon enough

I fish a lot of warren and hunterdon county streams. Have lots of luck with caddis, and sulfer patterns

Jason
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:42 AM

powderfinger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicfly View Post
I fish a lot of warren and hunterdon county streams. Have lots of luck with caddis, and sulfer patterns

Jason
the stockers get used to the natural food source quickly. all in all I find that w/ nymphs, depth is the biggest factor, then speed, size and color in that order. many exceptions of course w/ hatches,etc. I think that's why a buddy of mine does so well on copper johns. he doesn't tie so the nymphs he uses are un-weighted. the CJ's just get down quicker. I also get bites on big stimulator dry's from the the new stockers....go figure.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:32 AM

toxicfly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderfinger View Post
the stockers get used to the natural food source quickly. all in all I find that w/ nymphs, depth is the biggest factor, then speed, size and color in that order. many exceptions of course w/ hatches,etc. I think that's why a buddy of mine does so well on copper johns. he doesn't tie so the nymphs he uses are un-weighted. the CJ's just get down quicker. I also get bites on big stimulator dry's from the the new stockers....go figure.
Haha yea I've caught stockers with some pretty big patterns. My grandfather once showed me a trick to get these stockers to bite when they aren't feeding. Just grab a few small pebbles and toss into the water. They are conditioned to the pellets from the hatchery. Then throw out your fly and bam!

Jason