The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Mid-Atlantic Area (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/mid-atlantic-area/)
-   -   Upperville/ Middleburg VA fly fishing spots (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/mid-atlantic-area/347220-upperville-middleburg-va-fly-fishing-spots.html)

802flyfish 03-22-2014 12:55 AM

Upperville/ Middleburg VA fly fishing spots

. I'll be visiting the a few times a year. It would be a pleasure to drag my 4 wt flyrod from VT to Va. Anyone have any advice or suggestions for trout streams/river in the surrounding areas?

I think there a creek that's runs through the property called Goose creek?

Cheers,:shocking:

diamond rush 03-24-2014 11:15 AM

Re: Upperville/ Middleburg VA fly fishing spots

You're less than 15 minutes from my favorite smallmouth water: The Shenandoah river. Top notch.

Also, you're only an hour from the Shenandoah National Park, which is an amazing native trout fishery.

axle27 03-24-2014 11:40 AM

I live relatively close to that area. Second the Shendandoah for smallies. Some of the premier SM fishing in the east. Shenandoah National Park is a bit more south, but it lies adjacent to some good native brooke trout streams.

I've not heard too much about Goose creek. I do not believe it holds trout...too warm.

willowrun 03-24-2014 02:57 PM

If you come about an hour south into the valley, there are some great trout streams. From stocked to native, there is a pretty good selection to pick from, especially from woodstock south. I mostly fish west of harrisonburg, supposedly one of the highest concentrations of natives in va.

sent from one of those really cool mobile devices

802flyfish 03-27-2014 07:03 PM

Could you give me a little more advice on where to go in the Shenandoah park? Love fishing for Brookies

diamond rush 03-28-2014 06:24 AM

The Rapidan is the top-rated stream in the park. It deserves it, but gets tons of pressure. Anything that stays wet all year round will have brookies in the park. Get Harry Murray's book, it lists all the good streams in the park. The productivity of each stream changes year-to-year, so it's tough to say exactly where to go. The charm of the SNP is hiking a few miles to a hole that nobody knows exists, and pulling beautiful wild native brook trout out of it.

802flyfish 04-13-2014 10:24 PM

Ill be heading to VA around mid May. Anyone have suggestions on where to stay in the park near Rapidan? Anyone have experience with fishing condition in mid May?