The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2014, 08:02 AM

paflyfish3r is on a distinguished road
Default VA public trout streams near RVA

I am looking to explore VA trout fishing, and would like information on any public trout waters/streams near Richmond / Midlothian area. Expect that I will have to travel some distance, but looking forward to see if these streams match up to PA trout waters. Please and thanks!
Old 05-21-2014, 08:45 PM

lil_ol_angler_me is on a distinguished road
Default Re: VA public trout streams near RVA

I lived in Richmond for 20+yrs before moving to VA Beach and then the Florida keys and now Las Vegas
that being said, check with the Dept of Fish and Game in Richmond on Broad street, lot's of info there
my personal favorite was Sugar Hollow Reservoir near Crozet, it's fed by the two branches of the Moormans river which has some really nice trout in them, also the lake is really deep and holds some huge trout, sometimes you can see them cruising , offering sight casting oportunities and then the tail water is even prettier although not very long before it goes into private property...easy road for almost any vehicle with normal ground clearance

google it for more info

check up by Shenandoah Lake as well a couple of small but very fishy streams near there

if you can stand the drive...check out Fairy Stone State Park,,,,small 20 Acre + lake CRYSTAL CLEAR see fish on the bottom in 25+feet of water the feed stream has good fish (sorry forget it's name , been gone a bunch of years) and the lake has HUGE pickerel and bass that like to feed on the planted/ stocked trout which if they miss the Bass and Pickerel grow quite large

maybe even collect some of the unique "fairy stones"

good luck
Old 05-23-2014, 06:07 AM

paflyfish3r is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_ol_angler_me View Post
I lived in Richmond for 20+yrs before moving to VA Beach and then the Florida keys and now Las Vegas
that being said, check with the Dept of Fish and Game in Richmond on Broad street, lot's of info there
my personal favorite was Sugar Hollow Reservoir near Crozet, it's fed by the two branches of the Moormans river which has some really nice trout in them, also the lake is really deep and holds some huge trout, sometimes you can see them cruising , offering sight casting oportunities and then the tail water is even prettier although not very long before it goes into private property...easy road for almost any vehicle with normal ground clearance

google it for more info

check up by Shenandoah Lake as well a couple of small but very fishy streams near there

if you can stand the drive...check out Fairy Stone State Park,,,,small 20 Acre + lake CRYSTAL CLEAR see fish on the bottom in 25+feet of water the feed stream has good fish (sorry forget it's name , been gone a bunch of years) and the lake has HUGE pickerel and bass that like to feed on the planted/ stocked trout which if they miss the Bass and Pickerel grow quite large

maybe even collect some of the unique "fairy stones"

good luck

thanks for the recommendations- I will look into these waters.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:20 PM

fishinkeebs is on a distinguished road

Many native streams in the national park and along blue ridge. The pedlar river and tye river hold some good fish. The Game and Fish keeps a stocking schedule and shows lots of trout water.