The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2014, 10:42 AM

joefly is on a distinguished road
Default Fly fishing spots Richmond,VA

Hello

I'm looking for a good spot to try fly fishing again. I tried it a year or so ago and got discouraged with it because I didn't know a lot about it. And also I didn't know anyone who else who does it. Nothing much has changed with knowing anyone who wants to give it a try. I did read up on the sport and got a little information. But I wanna fly fish so that's what I'm going to do. So I'm looking for a good place to go on the James or Chickahominy rivers. So if any fly fisher from my area or other areas has some good spots they could get me to I would appreciate the information
Old 06-07-2014, 03:55 PM

lil_ol_angler_me is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fly fishing spots Richmond,VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefly View Post
Hello

I'm looking for a good spot to try fly fishing again. I tried it a year or so ago and got discouraged with it because I didn't know a lot about it. And also I didn't know anyone who else who does it. Nothing much has changed with knowing anyone who wants to give it a try. I did read up on the sport and got a little information. But I wanna fly fish so that's what I'm going to do. So I'm looking for a good place to go on the James or Chickahominy rivers. So if any fly fisher from my area or other areas has some good spots they could get me to I would appreciate the information
when I lived in Richmond 1979-2000, I would fish the James a lot, there was a path on the south side of the river by the "Nickel" bridge, we'd park on the first street up from the bridge on the right ( no one cared or bothered us) and walked down and you could see the path steep but not bad, either started fishing around the bridge abutments or would rock hop or walk the rail line up as far as we liked...the Pony Pasture also has good access...BE VERY CAREFUL if you decide to walk across the dam...I think they may have put up barriers since I was there to keep people off after a couple "stupid" youth drowned crossing when the river was running high....

the Chick River might be a tough fish lots of private property but rent a boat if you don't have one and hit the Lake --- good bass and brim as well as BIG pickerel and a ravenous prehistoric fish who's name I just forgot, dang things would tear my spinner baits all to hell, nasty fish but fights like a fish ten times its size, there's also lots of Gar there.....just remembered that fish's name it's a Bowfin

http://edallens.com/fishing-report

hope this helps

Capt Bob
Old 06-07-2014, 07:31 PM

joefly is on a distinguished road

Yea that helps. I will have to check out the nickle bridge. I live about 15 minutes from Ed Allen/Rockahock. Pony pasture is always crowded with teenagers. But maybe I will check it out again. Thanks for the information all is helpful.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:44 PM

BmoreOut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefly View Post
Yea that helps. I will have to check out the nickle bridge. I live about 15 minutes from Ed Allen/Rockahock. Pony pasture is always crowded with teenagers. But maybe I will check it out again. Thanks for the information all is helpful.
If you're really serious about picking up this sport, the best thing you can do is plunk down the money and get a guide. Call your nearest fly shop and they'll set you up with someone. A day on the river with someone who knows what they're doing is equal to a month or longer of you figuring it out alone. There is SO much to this sport from types of flies, etymology, equipment, tackle, knots, etc. Also there's so many different ways to fly fish from nymphing to wet fly sweeping to high sticking out straight up fishing dries (with or without a drop). It's enough to keep your head spinning, or at least it was for me. The best money I've spent after my rod and reel was a guide, hands down. Remember to tip though!