Where to Move To in Virginia???

whalensdad

Reaction score
So my wife and I are planning on moving from Central NY. I'm not retiring, but I work virtually, so can live just about anywhere. One area of the country we are contemplating is Williamsburg area of Virginia. What are the fishing opportunities in and around that area of Virginia? Are there areas of Virginia that have better opportunities?

acorad

Reaction score
Boy, near Williamsburg?

I'm no expert, but I'd guess the majority of fly fishing in that area would be salty. Which is not a slam, I fish the salt much more than sweet water these days.

However, as cochise says above, if you want trout, go west!

I grew up in NJ, went to college in upstate NY, and lived in CO & ID before Cali now.

imo, the worst winter in the West is still better than a "good" winter in NY.

Andy

whalensdad

Reaction score
Boy, near Williamsburg?

I'm no expert, but I'd guess the majority of fly fishing in that area would be salty. Which is not a slam, I fish the salt much more than sweet water these days.

However, as cochise says above, if you want trout, go west!

I grew up in NJ, went to college in upstate NY, and lived in CO & ID before Cali now.

imo, the worst winter in the West is still better than a "good" winter in NY.

Andy
The kidlets will finally be off in college so there is NOTHING keeping us here in NY. I agree wholeheartedly about the winters. Spent 20 yrs in the Navy with nearly 1/2 of it in San Diego. Was in San Diego before moving to NY where the schools are great and the fishing is plentiful. The wife is dictating the locations. We're also considering the PacNW.

I was concerned that the area would be mostly salt, which I don't do. I guess that gets me a "deal breaker" :)

dhaynes

Reaction score
The whole peninsula area of Virginia is getting way too over-populated... Consider someplace like Roanoke, Staunton, Charlottesville... All close to very good trout waters and numerous lakes...

jayr

Reaction score
If trout fishing is your forte, I would look at western NC, say around Asheville. Loads of streams from tailwaters to blueline freestones. It also allows traveling to VA, TN, GA and SC.

hokiehunter07

Reaction score
It mainly depends on what kind of fishing you'd like to do.

If you want to live in the coastal areas you'll be a good 2-3 hours away from the closest trout and most of the rivers in that area are tidal filled mainly with largemouth and brackish water fish. OBX is also about 3 hours away and that's where you'd have the best luck fishing the salt.

What exactly are you looking for in a locale? History? Things to do? Variety of fishing? easy access to travel?

Waynesboro, Lexington, or Charlottesville are all near interstates and great fishing. In Lexington you have the James and Maury rivers nearby that are slam full of smallies with plenty of cats and muskie mixed in. There are plenty of blueline trout streams nearby and a quick trip up the road to the Shenandoah National Park will put you in the best brookie waters in the southeast.

The folks are friendly, there are lots of wineries and breweries in the area. Tons of history, great views, Lexington has large horse center which is kind of a neat attraction.

As a Hokie I can't stand Charlottesville but there are some great fly shops there and the area is very nice.

If you want a little more seclusion and primarily trout I'd head to Western VA, WNC, or East TN. In the Blacksburg area you have stripers at Claytor lake, tons of wild trout water, and one of the best smallie rivers in the country in the New River. A short trip puts you at the South Holston for trophy browns or the Jackson for what is about the best tailwater in VA. The Smokies are only 2-3 hours away as well. Once again basically on the interstate so you're a quick hop to anywhere you'd like to be.

WNC or east TN are similar but a little more secluded. Asheville, NC is very nice and you have a similar variety of waters as compared to Blacksburg but are closer to the Smokies. A lot more weather in these areas as they're hill country.

If you want to be in a busy area with seclusion nearby I'd look in the central VA area. If you want a little quainter feel I'd look Lexington or Waynesboro. If you want good football, great fishing, and access to a lot of areas / other states, I'd look at Blacksburg.

There's also Lynchburg, Bedford, and Roanoke but Lynchburg is fairly isolated although the James has great fishing, Bedford is more isolated but has great mountains, blue lines, and hunting, and Roanoke is right on the instate and is a nice little area.

With the exception of Charlottesville and the coastal areas, cost of living is about dirt cheap. Coming from NY you should be able to buy a lot of land or have a pretty nice house. $100 psf is high - high medium in many of the areas.

Hope that helps.

Hokie.

whalensdad

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the great info. I lived in Northern Va in Burke, long before I got into FF. I'm I trout guy, so inland seems best for me.

Hokie - That was some really useful info. It will give me a good starting point. THANKS!

Lee

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
Move here on the tenn side and make south holston and the blue lines your home waters. It's a beautiful, laid back, humid, mountain empire.

I was born on the left and raised on the right side of this sign.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
The kidlets will finally be off in college so there is NOTHING keeping us here in NY. I agree wholeheartedly about the winters. Spent 20 yrs in the Navy with nearly 1/2 of it in San Diego. Was in San Diego before moving to NY where the schools are great and the fishing is plentiful. The wife is dictating the locations. We're also considering the PacNW.

I was concerned that the area would be mostly salt, which I don't do. I guess that gets me a "deal breaker" :)
Consider the Medford, Oregon area .... save for driving North/South on I-5 and you are 'in the sticks' in minutes. Lots of lake fishing, Rogue River (Steelhead/Salmon) in 30 minute drive, etc., etc.

Weather? Another string of high 90's/low 100's in the weeks forecast. Rainy Oregon? We get less that 19 inches/yr; Mountain's get a tonne of winter snow so little in the way of low flows unless by choice (dam controlled).

jzim

Reaction score
Harrisonburg VA. College town. Close to trout and excellent smallmouth bass fishing. Shenandoah River, plus national park close by for brookie fishing.

hokiehunter07

Reaction score
Harrisonburg VA. College town. Close to trout and excellent smallmouth bass fishing. Shenandoah River, plus national park close by for brookie fishing.
That's another good one right on the interstate. Right up from Lexington and Waynesboro.

diamond rush

Reaction score
If you're dead set on Virginia, Charlottesville is a beautiful town with the entire Shenandoah National Park close by. They also have amazing smallmouth fisheries in the local rivers.

Asheville, NC is also a great city with a ton of trout around it. It's getting a bit hipstery, though.

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------

If you want good football, great fishing, and access to a lot of areas / other states, I'd look at Blacksburg.
Fixed that for you. :)

whalensdad

Reaction score
We're actually not set on any specific area. We are looking at VA and the Pacific NW. I forced my wife to Syracuse 15 yrs ago, so the next location she has to like :)

flytie09

Reaction score
I'd say PNW would be an awesome place to move to. Wild Salmon and steelhead forget about it.

But SW Va is an ok choice. Trout fishing is ok in immediate area, but there's some awesome spots within 1 1/2 HR drive. N Va isn't my cup of tea. I too am a CNY transfer so I can relate. Food-eh, people friendly but behind the times and not much going on besides outdoor activities. My work brings me here, so I make the best of it.

Good luck.

ft09

lil_ol_angler_me

Reaction score
I lived in the Richmond metro area (western Henrico County) for 20 years and absolutely loved it...an hour to the bay and ocean, and about an hour to the mountains...all sorts of fishing and tourist type stuff surrounding the area about 2 hrs to DC really a great central place and plenty of culture and good food available also

slowdown

Reaction score
I grew up in Virginia and I lived in the Pacific Northwest, Colorado and multiple other areas. My wife went to college up there by Syracuse too - NY girl so I know a bit of what you've dealt with from that area.

I also work remotely and just made a choice, we moved to Charlotte, NC. My choice needs a great airport which much of Virginia simply doesnt have.

If I were going to do Virginia, I would start with Roanoke, VA. Roanoke, is a great midsized city that has a re-gentrifying downtown along with quick access to markets, good music, solid restaurants etc. It is also quick drives to the James and New Rivers for some of the best Smallie, Muskie fishing you will ever do. As for trout, you are withing 2 hours of a couple great tailwaters in the Smith and the Jackson. You also have great access to blue-lines. Again, 2 hours gets you into the Shenadoha or into West Virgina Blue Lines. Also, only 2.5 to 3 to the Holston of Tennessee/ Virginia.

There are multiple towns on that I81 corridor that would fit you and your wife. Its really what you want, all have the access to fishing if you are willing to drive and explore.

If, however, VA is flexible (sounds like it is), I would go to Bristol, TN area. Multiple major Tailwaters, and 100's of miles of Blue Lines. Great town, entertainment etc. etc.

If you want to go the Pacific Northwest, well from Bend to Seattle you won't go wrong. City after city of great culture, great food, great fishing. My only issue is that rain. Didn't dig that at all.