The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2016, 09:33 AM

sheepdog is a jewel in the roughsheepdog is a jewel in the roughsheepdog is a jewel in the roughsheepdog is a jewel in the rough
Default New year's fishing opportunities in northern VA?

Hey everyone,

My wife and I flew out to Northern Virginia (Woodbridge area to be exact) to spend some time with the family. Everything looks to be pretty cold and somewhat icy right now but I'm feeling the itch to hit some new water. Never fished out here before so any help is appreciated! I've been doing research on the trout streams relatively close by and it sounds like the season for them is about over. Low flows, bone chilling water and spawned out fish are probably not the best thing to target with limited time. Perhaps some bass or snakehead opportunities close by? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 12-26-2016, 07:09 AM

ymr049c is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New year's fishing opportunities in northern VA?

Four Mile Run has a water processing discharge that is warm in the winter, and attracts bass fishermen. Check it out.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:21 PM

sheepdog is a jewel in the roughsheepdog is a jewel in the roughsheepdog is a jewel in the roughsheepdog is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the tip! That's not far from me at all.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:28 PM

vamtnbiker is on a distinguished road

You might also try Accotink Creek in Wakefield Park. It is usually stocked with rainbows during the winter. I've seen guys catch fish on egg patterns there.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:51 PM

Thanks VAmtnbiker. I checked the stocking schedule and And doesn't look like they've stocked it this month. Any ideas on the holdover chances on that lake?
Old 01-01-2017, 08:05 AM

vaheelsfan has a spectacular aura aboutvaheelsfan has a spectacular aura about

There are a few delayed harvest streams in that area. I want to say previously mentioned Accotink is one, I think the other is Holmes Run but not 100% sure. I have never fished either so I have no clue how good they are. Virginia only announces the first stocking for DH streams. As far as other opportunities, snakeheads are dormant in winter. Warm water discharges are your only good bet for largemouth bass. There may be some stripers available in the Potomac and I know people catch huge blue catfish through the winter but no clue how you would go about landing one on the fly.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:02 PM

vamtnbiker is on a distinguished road

I really don't know about the holdover prospects.