The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Kettle Creek PA

I'm a bit more jaded than the other respondents and while I no longer live in PA. I did live there and fished more than a responsible man should. 30+ years ago I would have given Kettle and some of its main tributaries the nod. Today, given the number of stock fish which are introduced there and the number of people competing for them I would not travel as far as you describe to fish for stock Trout.

I would however be willing to share a few locations where you will find primarily wild fish and virtually no people. I offer this because I have been living in Alaska for four years and can see no harm in sharing some Intel with a sportsman willing to drive so far in order to have a quality experience.

You may reach me here and I can either direct you via e-mail or we can speak on the telephone if you wish. Please do not confuse this with a pompous response from some know it all. This is an honest offer based on a life time of experience with wild Trout fishing. If you really want to travel I have a Bush Camp up here and a fair knowledge of many good places to fish for Salmon, Char, Trout, and Grayling.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:23 AM

Volcanomil is on a distinguished road

If you are coming up from the south - why not stop at the Yellow Breeches, then swing over to the Little J (anybody read the current issue of Fly Fisherman mag?) - drive over to Penns (my favorite) - then up to Spring - then onto Kettle, Pine, etc - you be by-passing some incredible streams if you go straight there.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:30 PM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about

I have a video of Ed Shenk fishing 3 streams around Carlisle and also demonstrating how to tie 5 of his flies. I believe the streams were the Letort, Big Spring and the Yellow Breeches if memory serves. They all looked very cool.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:49 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

Yeah-I've fished the 'Breeches'. Nice stream although I bumped into a lot of fisherman on it. Fished the LeTort as well .....it's almost a rite of passage around here but DAMN that's a tough stream to fish!...and those fish have seen it all! But, it's the classic spring creek and you need to try it at least once. The Little J is definitely worth hitting if you're in the area - I like it the best - Just keep an eye on water levels. If it's high, I'd skip it.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:47 PM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about

I also have a very tough spring creek in my neck of the woods called Mossy Creek. I've been skunked at Mossy more times than I care to admit. And it's not because the fish aren't there. As you said, they've seen it all.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:21 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

Don't I know it! My sister lives in Mt. Crawford so late last summer I was doing a photo shoot for their company and while there I.......'fished' Mossy Creek. Granted, it was August, the water was low, it was HOT, and I had to contend with a few cows (kind of hoped they might do a little 'shuffeling' for me!) One half-hearted strike at a trico throughout the entire day! Couldn't even interest them in a terresterial! But, at least I tried. Truthfully, I think it was HARDER to fish than the LeTorte, if for no other reason than its smaller size, the steep banks and abundant vegetation.....but then again, I didn't catch any fish on either stream! Got any pointers for this year?
Old 05-14-2008, 06:46 PM

The best time to fish Mossy is either during or right after a big rain when the water looks like chocolate milk! The high water stirs things up and washes the baitfish around and the dirty water brings the big browns out during the day. You can do ok chucking a big black sculpin. The other prime time is about an hour before dark until you can't see anymore when the sulphurs are hatching. That'll bring some fish to the surface. In the summer it's usually a waste of time to be out there in the middle of the day, especially if it's sunny. Shoot me PM if you're going to be down this way again and maybe we can go get skunked together!
Old 05-15-2008, 12:17 AM

Will do; I'm suppose to schedule another photo shoot with my brother in law (Beam Brothers Trucking) sometime this summer; I'll let you know and plan one day just to fish.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:28 PM

pafisherman is on a distinguished road

Hey guys my names mike. Me and my dad are making a trip up to potter county this weekend. Were going to spend some time on Kettle Creek. Im looking for some tips on what areas are most productive, and spots you guys suggest to fish? any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Mike