The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2010, 04:37 PM

belem is on a distinguished road
Default Deep Creek, MD

Howdy, new poster to this forum.

It looks like I'll be attending a family reunion next July at Deep Creek. It's been a loooong time since I lived/fished back east and I wasn't really a fly fisher at the time. I seem to recall there being a few nice places to fish in western VA and MD but don't remember anything specific. Or anything about the Deep Creek area at all.
So...should I pack a fly rod? I figure I'll pick up a couple cheapo spinning rods for the kids to fish at the lake but not sure if it's worth the trouble of lugging out all my gear. Any rivers worth fishing? Should I bring the travel rod? Waders?

Willing to trade any info on CA in return.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:21 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma
Default Re: Deep Creek, MD

Yough River either the Pa. side of the lake or the Md. side. and yes waders. water temp stays in the low 60's in dead of summer
Old 08-24-2010, 12:08 AM

60's sounds warm to me But thanks, I'll bring them along.

How about the Savage River? Looks like Orvis has a shop set up along there.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:29 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

I've fished the Savage, but didn''t care much for it. Personal preference I suppose. At Ohiopyle, Pa., there is a small Orvis shop there for sure. If I am right, I think that is considered the middle Yough. Fish near the rocks with nymphs, streamers and watch out for rafters. I fish the upper Yough. 95% of the time, I dry fly fish it. There is also a small FFO C&R stream called Dunbar Creek. Tone named is also Dunbar. 119N out of Uniontown, Pa., down over the mountain from the fairgrounds. Finally, just past the Yough, is a small stream called Laurel Hill. This is the lower Laurel. Great ant fishing there in the FFO section.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:04 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

If it were me, I would also consider fishing WV, specifically Blackwater Falls area and, the Mononghalia National Forest and Canaan Valley area are also worth a look. Hopefully somebody who fishes or lives in WV can put you on better info. Just throwing out options.

Enjoy your trip!
Old 08-27-2010, 08:56 PM

Thanks, I'll look into that too. Will be located right on the lake and want to make the most of the few hours I'll be able to get away so can't travel too far.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:45 PM

Reviving an old thread because we're now just a week away from the trip. Packing a couple rods and my gear. Have a guide set up for the 21st on the Savage, but will be in the area for the whole week. Any other spots fishing well lately? From what the guide told me it sounds like a lot of the other area waters are getting too warm to fish in good conscience.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:50 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by okuma View Post
Yough River either the Pa. side of the lake or the Md. side. and yes waders. water temp stays in the low 60's in dead of summer
+2 on the Yough. It was great in the 1950's and 60's when I was growing up.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:46 PM

Got a notification about a reply and it reminded me that I never posted a follow up. It was a brutally hot week when we were there. I had talked to a guide out of the orvis shop at the resort and he said the only thing fishing well in the heat was the Savage. I drove out one evening to do some recon and found a nice brown in a big pool. Next day I fished with the guide for half a day and found a lot of eager browns, brookies, and some bows. Pretty water. Took an uncle back a few days later and found a few more taking dries.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:31 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Sounds like a good trip! Though it's certainly of no help now, and you already brought one, but I'm partial to bringing my fly rod basically wherever I go. I love sneaking off to do some fishing!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...