The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 12:52 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma
Default Erie watersheds

I went to International Angler near Pittsburgh today. There are steelhead at the mouths of all creeks. However, lack of rain is preventing their migration upstream for now. Elk Creek does have fish in the mouth, but expect a mass of anglers there. WE NEED RAIN BAD!!!
Old 09-09-2010, 09:42 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Erie watersheds

International Angler is a great shop, one that I'm lucky to live close to. With these cool temps, it's no shock the fish are staging but not moving into the creeks. Glad to hear confirmation though.

Now it's time for some serious rain dancin!

Old 09-17-2010, 07:31 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light

checked the fish reports of the PFBC. Steelhead are in the rivers some. lower ends good. up stream still low and clear. no offense to any conventional fishermen, the fish are getting pounded by some of these guys. some small fish sited in the nursing waters. still early. but i'm getting antsy
Old 09-22-2010, 08:58 PM

decent amount of fish in the elk. fish as far up as you wish. they are there. water very low, little flow
Old 09-29-2010, 10:09 AM

For those that fish the Erie tribs, the rains have come. As of this writing, the streams are blown out. More rain is coming and the streams should be fishable by Friday. Many fish are well above the Route 20 bridge now. As I am sure many fishermen will also be out. Tight lines! Mike
Old 09-29-2010, 10:37 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Yes indeed Friday is the day the temps are right and hopefully the flow will drop a bit and we get that lovely steelhead green color! Believe me I'm frothing!!!! Alot of gear guys have been out allready with fish caught although with the warmer temps last week it resulted in alot of catch and release kills. If the water will stay under 65 its gonna be golden well I should say chrome!
Old 09-29-2010, 07:07 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at the USGS guages, the streams are dropping so likely today/tomorrow will be prime. Beyond that, more rain is needed to bring in more fish and move the ones that have made it into the streams further upstream. Also saw a few photos that showed the water becoming more clear and definately down from what I would consider blown out conditions. Great to see the fish moving in though

If you're going there this weekend, it goes without saying...hope you enjoy the circus and full combat fishing lol.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:44 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Yeah I'm interested in seeing how the two hander will be recieved this season. Upstream fishing with nymphs got confused looks from the gear crowd I can't wait to see them gawk at the downstream swing! Full combat is just about the best term I heard to describe it, kinda like a UFC match in waders! Crack of dawn is the order as well as hiking, with any hope the crowds will stay in the obvious spots and I can sneak away to a few areas where you need to walk a ways from the parking. Theres more rain in forcast for the Ohio side next week so it looks to be shaping up nicely.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:53 AM

I like Steelie fishing in mid-late fall/winter, or at least once there have been significant runs that have allowed the fish to spread out. I'm not opposed to fishing the mouths or below Rt.5 if the crowd and conditions are just right, but I much prefer to fish the upper stretches of water. Less fish, but also less guys. Trying to find open water where you won't see guys is unrealistic, but I at least like some elbow room! Right now, the fish are concentrated down low. Some have moved beyond 5 and 20 as far as my research tells me, but not in significant numbers.

I can just imagine the looks of the downstream swing, hell I have got some interesting looks with a fly rod over the years. lol.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:22 AM

I gave the Rocky a shot on friday with no fish even seen it would appear that rain we had last week allowed the few fish that came in early enough water to escape! Its pouring right now as I write this so maybe by thursday there will be some numbers in the tribs. I did have the pleasure of working a run with a young center pinner, one of the better, or atleast my favorite run, with no problems. It was kind of comical though to see the array of tackle that would be stacked in the different runs all right on top of each other! I love it!!