The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2008, 05:42 PM

hiddencreek is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Casselman River

On the Savage cast to the pockets...all of them even if they look to small to hold a fish and keep on moving. You will cover alot of water and hopefully catch alot of fish.
I will be on the Savage all weekend. I live about 20 minutes from the Savage and my friends from 'down state' rented a cabin at the savage river outfitters place. We may fish one evening on the north branch as well.
I drive a subaru...look for me!
I am always looking for some fishing buddies as mine all live down state!!
Old 07-09-2008, 08:09 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Very true! Even the little 'smooth' runs that are only ablut 3 ft long and maybe a foot across that lays right next to fast water will hold a fish! The tricky part is getting a fly over there and lay for a second. The fish know they only have a second to decide so they stike fast so you have to be ready!And besides, all you're going to have on a good cast is about 2 seconds before the fly gets ripped out into the curent. Challenging fishing but fun! I may be down there and if I do, I'll look for you! Went to the doctor today on a knee problem and he told me to stay away from steps, hills and places that have uneven surfaces. Does that mean the bottom of Savage River? Probably!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 02-26-2009, 10:43 AM

Casselman is fishing great...Streamers and wooly buggers are doing great. The other day I must have been following somebody who was losing alot of black buggers...I found 2 of the same patterns.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:21 PM

fisherguy is on a distinguished road

The Cassleman is a great river to catch lots of fish.....Pretty area with amish farmlands near by....Your favorite flies with proper presentation will do just fine!! Barnum on the other hand is well worth the drive down in...There are some pigs in this section....I love parking at the bottom and going up stream you will see a cable crossing the river that starts the special regs section. Fish up stream until it ends at the big hole. can be snakey so be carefull....The savage is a great tailwater for sure....the brookies are a thing of beauty in this stream...I fish the riffles down deep when im hunting big fish...can be a difficult stream to fish on some days...Good luck to ya!!

Gordon
Old 05-15-2009, 08:41 PM

2flyrdrive is on a distinguished road

I agree all of the above posts.
The Casselman River is one of the top 4 or 5 destinations in Western MD.
I also try to fish The Savage River, The North Branch of The Potomac(both places), The Yough and Town Creek(not too well known).
Old 05-24-2009, 08:01 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

Trying to plan a trip up to this area for a 2 1/2 day trip. Will most like come up by myself on my first trip to the area. Where would be a good place to camp so that I can get around to the different streams.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:49 PM

2flyrdrive is on a distinguished road

I'd say Rocky Gap in Cumberland or Swallow Falls and Deep Creek State Park in Garrett County to start with. Rocky Gap is a little bit further away from the streams but it is still a great place to camp.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:31 AM

A few closer places to camp would be New Germany State Park/Big Run State Park or in the Savage River State Forest (SRSF). About ten campsite in the SRSF are literally a roll cast from the river!! New Germany is probably the best centrally located place to camp...close to the the Casselmand river in one direction and the other streams in another direction.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:36 AM

ab4usa is on a distinguished road

I fished this last Friday. It took me a while to find a pocket of fish but when I did it was a VERY target rich enviornment. My biggest rainbow was 17" and was not the largest in the pool. Caught a couple of 15"-16" Browns and a 2.5lb small mouth!

Be warned that if the water warms up much more the fish are really going to start to suffer. Also the delayed harvest expires on 6/15.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:51 PM

RyanSheehan is on a distinguished road

I was there too, and man was it low and its been getting lower. If they don't get some rain soon those fish are cooked, literally! Good fishing though but they are getting smarter, I had a few rejections.