The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Mid-Atlantic Area (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/mid-atlantic-area/)
-   -   Casselman River (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/mid-atlantic-area/5120-casselman-river.html)

MarlinBoy 07-01-2008 10:56 AM

Casselman River

Hey guys, a buddy and me are heading up to the casselman tommorow to do some fishing. I personally have never fished there...has anyone been there lately that has any information on hatches, what flies are inciting strikes, water levels etc...we were also told by another friend to try fishing near a restaurant called the something "alps." I know where it is but have no idea what the stream looks like there. Any information at all would be much appreciated.

MarlinBoy 07-02-2008 10:40 PM

Re: Casselman River

I guess ill update incase anyone was thinking about fishing the Casselman anytime soon. The water level is a little low but still very fishable. We got one nice brown early in the morning and throughout the day ended up with two(and losing 7 others but thats the way it goes). Even had one grab my fly when it was a foot off the bank sitting there while i was lighting a smoke...ended up snapping my line aroung a rock...there went 4 bucks...one brownie was caught on a #14 Quill Gordon and the other on a #16 yellow Sulfer Fly Dun. We had a few strikes on small stonefly nymphs(yellow and black) and one on a #16 black Elk Hair Caddis. Quite a variety. Trout were rising constantly all day. One thing for sure is there are ALOT of trout in there. The runs and riffles are the key places to fish it seems and the water depth made no difference in the amount of fish. Even the shallow riffles only 4-6 inches deep were teeming with trout. We started fishing at 6AM(left the house at 3:30AM...long haul) and fished until mid-afternoon. We parked at the Penn Alps restaurant right along side the river which was pretty cool because theres a nice little village there with gift shops and stuff to mosey around in after fishing. Overall it was a pretty good day and as every day fly fishing is, alot of fun. Anywhos if anyone is going there soon, hope this helps in some way.

hiddencreek 07-06-2008 09:43 AM

If you make it to the Casselman in western maryland you ought to go a little farther west and a little south and fish the Savage River and the North Branch of the Potomac River. They are alot better fisheries then the Casselman. Don't get me wrong I like to fish the Casselman in early spring but after that the water gets very low and it is to poplar of a location.
Tight lines

MarlinBoy 07-06-2008 08:54 PM

I have not made it out to those yet but im in the process of planning a trip to both of them. Have you heard anything about the guide services for the north branch of the Potomac?

troutslayer 07-06-2008 09:06 PM

I also fish the Casselman but yes, the water levels fluctuate but right now it is generall very low. The Savage River below the dam is great fishing. They have naturally reproducing brooks and browns and they can be tough fighters, even the small ones. The river is very slippery so be very careful when wading. You can check out the website of Savage RIver OUtfitters, an Orvis fly shop situated along the river. The website will tell you what the flow is and what is working. They can even tell you about guide services. The North Branch is great too. It's more open water than the Savage but great fishing. Generall, caddis, bwo's, sulphurs are working. I've caught a couple of nice browns on Pheasand Tail nymph (beadhead) on size 14. The website is savageriveroutfitters.com. Hope this helps.

hiddencreek 07-07-2008 06:47 PM

Don't go with any guides! Some are great some are not the best. For a year I guided with a local lodge and became familair with a few other guides. The Savage is right off Savage River Road and scouting the river is very easy. The North Branch near Barnum is a little harder to get to but still pretty simply to fish. Let me know and I will gladly show anyone around.
Just Fish...and have fun.

troutslayer 07-07-2008 08:30 PM

Good point about the guides. Barnum (North Branch) is easy to get to and find spots to fish. The Savage like Hidden Creek said has easy access to some of the best flyfishing around. It has parking areas, usually enough for one vehicle, along the road so you just park and walk 10-20 yards and you're in the river! Let me know and I'll let you know some of the 'honey' spots as well. Good fishing!

MarlinBoy 07-08-2008 12:45 PM

Well it looks like im heading up that way sunday to do some fishing...not quite sure yet where im going to try out.

hiddencreek 07-08-2008 07:08 PM

If you go to the North Branch of the Potomac...do one on two things. Drive as far down stream as possible and take a little walk down stream past the 'blue hole' and keep on going (it is an old railroad bed...easy walking). Walk as far as you want and start fishing. Or park at the first place you come to the river and walk upstream 10 minutes or so. Both places have some great fish. I will try and post a few pictures of a 22 brown I caught a few weeks ago...on a last cast!! Oh yeah you have a chance at the Maryland Grand Slam...brooke, brown, rainbow, and cutthroat...have fun!
Just Fish

troutslayer 07-08-2008 07:38 PM

If you go the the Savage, there probably isn't a bad place to stop and fish. When you come to the first steel bridge, there is a nice hole up the river to your left. You have to walk about 50 yds or so and you'll see it. There are a lot of nice places. Just find a parking spot and follow the trail to the river. If you go far enough you will go by the primitive camping area and then come to a cement bridge. There is a nice hole there but we call it the PhD hole because the fish will give you a good education there. It's fished hard so they are pretty smart. You can also go upstream and a lot of nice runs up there. Be careful and hope you catch the big one!