The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2008, 06:12 PM

daretowin is on a distinguished road
Question Fishing/Backpacking Trip Recommendations Needed

Hello All,

I am new to the forum and have recently begun enjoying fly fishing again after a very long time away. I hope that I have posted this question in the correct location?

Myself and a few others are planning a backpacking fishing trip in late September within a 5 hour drive from Bucks County, PA. Our initial plans have us leaning towards Shenandoah National Park in VA but no further south (due to driving time). We will be traveling on a Thursday and leaving on a Sunday to return to PA. While on our trip we are looking to hike a large loop, returning to our starting point. Our preference is to be off the beaten path and exploring some great and unfrequented fishing spots. While we are experienced campers/hikers we are all fairly new to fly fishing.

Our plan is as follows:
- Arrive on Thursday evening and hike less than 1 hour, make camp.
- Friday AM - BFast, break camp, hike a short distance to fishing (up to 1 hr), fish, have lunch, hike to second site (up to 3 hours) (also near fishing).
- Friday PM - Make camp, fish, dinner
- Saturday will be a repeat of Friday but at different locations.
- Sunday AM we will likely fish a little either near camp or on the way back to our starting point.
- Overall hike distance between 15 and 20 miles - depending on terrain.

We would be grateful for any and all:
- Recommendations
- Past experiences
- Tips
- Links to other relevant threads and/or web sites
- Maps
- Expected weather in late Sept.
- What should be running etc.
- What types of flies should we be using

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Regards,

Dave Hollander
Old 09-02-2008, 08:16 AM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Fishing/Backpacking Trip Recommendations Needed

Hi Dave,

If you're considering SNP, I would keep a close eye on the weather between now and your trip. If we don't see some significant rains, I would think about a different location. The water levels have been very low up until last week when we got 2 days of decent rain but they'll go down again quick. If the water levels hold up, I would consider Big Run and the Rose River. Both have some nice camping spots.

If you do come, I would pick up a book called Trout Fishing in Shenandoah National Park by Harry Murray. It gives detailed descriptions of the streams as well as trail accesses, etc. You can purchase a nice set of maps to the Park here: Shenandoah National Park Association: Maps. I have the 3 district maps and they are definitely worth it.

The weather will probably be cool at night, so keep in mind that you are not allowed to have a fire in the SNP backcountry. As for the fish, you can expect brookies in the 6" - 10" range mostly with an occassional brown or rainbow mixed in depending on the stream.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:24 PM

jcl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshort View Post
Hi Dave,

If you're considering SNP, I would keep a close eye on the weather between now and your trip. If we don't see some significant rains, I would think about a different location. The water levels have been very low up until last week when we got 2 days of decent rain but they'll go down again quick.
Is there a convenient way to check the water levels, like an web site or anything? I've been thinking it's getting close time for me to hit the SNP.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:37 PM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about

I use this site:
USGS Real-Time Data for Virginia_ Streamflow

And you can also check the conditions page here:
Mossy Creek Fly Fishing :: Current Conditions
Old 09-02-2008, 07:06 PM

jcl is on a distinguished road

Great -- thanks! I knew there must be a site like that, but I didn't know where to look.