The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2008, 07:48 PM

eaglesfn68 is on a distinguished road
Default Upstate PA Trip

hey guys, im taking a trip to upstate PA by Penn State U to fish in October. I'll be fishing Spring Creek and the other various awesome streams up there.

what are some good flies and sizes you guys think will catch trout.
the air temp should be around the high 60's low 70's. No idea about water temp.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:18 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Upstate PA Trip

I was fishing that general area today. No real hatches were occuring but I saw a mixture of insects. BWO's , Sulphurs, Caddis, etc. I did all of my catching on soft-hackles but my fishing buddy was getting them on a cricket pattern. Incidentally, we were on the Little J ........not Spring Creek. We didn't see another fisherman on the Little J or Spruce! I'd check in with the Fly Fishers Paradise website and maybe give the guys there a call. They keep a daily update on what hatches are happening on what streams in the area. You can pick from Spring Creek, Penns Creek, Fishermans Paradise or Big Fishing Creek to name a few. It's also just a short jaunt to Penn State's section of Spruce Creek or the Little J! All in all, you should have a blast!
Old 09-14-2008, 10:38 AM

eaglesfn68 is on a distinguished road

how about like ants and beetles
Old 09-14-2008, 10:34 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

Yes, ants and beetles are always a good bet and I often use them when I want to fish on top. Maybe it's me, but it seems that on more heavily fished catch and release areas I get a lot of refusals on indicator style beetles and ants. Almost as if the fish have seen plenty of the orange hi-lighted versions and don't want them anymore. This is especially true on smoother water where they get a good look at them. Faster water....not so much of a problem. I've tied up some plain ones that work but then you've got the problem of not being able to see them yourself. But, to answer your question; yes.......great on top. AND, sometimes I'll try an indicator beetle on top and use a plain black (wet) ant as a dropper off the bend of the hook! ...gives 'em an option!
Old 09-18-2008, 11:19 PM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough

And don't leave home without Woolybuggers!
A nice 'bow I caught today in upstate PA with my 4wt.

Click the image to open in full size.

"People are crazy, times are strange"
"I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range"
"I used to care, but things have changed"
- Dylan