The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2008, 08:35 PM

alexs822 is on a distinguished road
Default fly tips for brookies

i am 15 and i love fishing i have started to flyfish. i fish for brookies in frederick md. i catch fish but im not consistant i would like tips thanks
Old 09-28-2008, 09:52 PM

CoMtFishing will become famous soon enoughCoMtFishing will become famous soon enough
Default Re: fly tips for brookies

are you fishing lakes or streams?

My Homepage
My Fishing T-shirt site How I pay for my fishing addiction.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:09 AM

i fish in streams
Old 09-29-2008, 07:51 AM

CoMtFishing will become famous soon enoughCoMtFishing will become famous soon enough

Hopper dropper set up is probably the best setup. I prefer a small hopper ontop and a copper john on bottom (this will catch any kind of trout in Colorado all summer for you Colorado guys) or a flying ant with a blood midge or mercury midge on bottom. Streamers also work well when stripped fast.

Brookies are oppertunistic feeders and are usually pretty aggressive, so as long as you dont scare them when you approach the water (trout always face upstream so approach from behind and stay low if its clear water) Terrestials usually always work well on brookies which is why I always have one ontop. They also are very protective of their territory which is why streamers work well.

Good luck.

My Homepage
My Fishing T-shirt site How I pay for my fishing addiction.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:33 AM

ab4usa is on a distinguished road

Alex,

I am going to assume Big Hunting Creek. In the pocket water below the bridge I have had luch with an Olive wollie Bugger fished near the rocks where they hide. There is also still time to fish terrestials on the surface, often with a nymph (ie copper john) fished below. I have also had some luck with a pink san juan worm.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:40 PM

oogie is on a distinguished road

Stealth is most important on small streams (like Big Hunting in the summer). As noted below, approach from downstream, get as low as possible, hide behind trees, etc. to keep the fish from spooking. The fish on Big Hunting see a lot of pressure, so your presentation must be good (delicate- no stripping line across the water, natural presentation, no drag on the fly as it comes downstream). Put on a long, thin leader (like 7X, 12 feet or longer). If you do all of this, most Brookies are aggressive feeders and will go after flashy big flies, like hoppers, Royal Wulfs, etc. If you are not geting results, start fishing with smaller and smaller flies, and darker and darker flies, until you start to get results.

Hang in there and don't get discouraged at first. With practice and experience, you will figure out what the fish like and it will become second nature. Also, don't forget that even the best anglers have slow days!

Good luck!
Old 09-30-2008, 03:12 AM

thanks ab4usa I know that place