The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Mid-Atlantic Area (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/mid-atlantic-area/)
-   -   Whats the secret for fly fishing for stocked trout (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/mid-atlantic-area/6798-whats-secret-fly-fishing-stocked-trout.html)

dixiedawg57 12-07-2008 11:30 AM

Whats the secret for fly fishing for stocked trout

:frogdance Hello, Everyone
I have been fly fishing for for about 30 years Now my 12 year old son wants to start fly fishing. So the first thing I did was have him become a member of trout unlimited. Now he wants to go fishing for stocked trout he has friends that trout fish with powerbait {god forbide} I think he my son is more interisted in size than color or type of trout I've taking him fishing for brookies and he has taken his fair share of brookies now he wants rainbows. The only problem is the rainbows are all stocked within 1 1/2 hrs driving distance of the house. So if someone can help me with some info such as fly patterns that I can tie [ I currently have 3 midge patterns in fly fishing hall of fame] it does'nt matter how hard the pattern is I can tie it Thanks for any info

arfishinbear 12-07-2008 11:49 AM

Re: Whats the secret for fly fishing for stocked trout

I fish a couple riversin south MO. that are stocked with rainbow for put and take fishing. I dont keep any tried 'em once and they taste mushy, anyway. We do well on glo-balls(just and egg pattern tied on a very small jighead), woolybuggers, and some general dries like light cahills, adams and ants. The colors seem to be a tri-color egg(pink-red-apricot) and good old olive and black on the woolies. Another trick a buddy uses is to use a very small black and yellow jig under a med. strike indecater and let it drift while jiggling his rod tip a little.
Good luck
Bear

dshort 12-08-2008 08:20 AM

They'll take the same flies that a wild trout will take after they've been in the stream for a week or so and all of the worm dunkers and truck chasers will be off to the next stream so you can pretty much have it to yourself. Wooley buggers, hare's ears and pheasant tail nymphs are all good bets.

FISHN50 12-08-2008 12:41 PM

Hi dixiedawg57
This time of year & in the spring I usually use Nymphs or wet flys. Small Caddis size 16-18 or beadheads of about the same sizes. For streamers I like black, olive or white wooley buggers, Micky Finns, Black Ghosts. Someone in the TU chapter you joined will be able to tell you whats best for the waters your going to fish. It's a great sport to pass on to your son. You build a relationship that in this busy world is priceless. My son is 27 yrs old & we started fishing together when he was about 8 & he's been flyfishing since he was about 12 also. We get out as often as possible & plan on passing it on to his kids.

eaglesfn68 12-08-2008 05:37 PM

i like using bead head glo bugs. my favorite is bi color yellow and orange. also a hatchery pellet fly works well too but thats about the same as powerbait.

vaflyguy 12-11-2008 06:40 PM

Hatchery fish have no fear of color and flash. That is the one significant difference I see. BUT there is a catch, if they are spooked, then go back to flies you might use for natives.

ksigtuck 08-14-2009 11:08 PM

Around here you can count on them hitting a prince nymph, tellico or egg pattern about anytime you head out.
TUck

Pocono 08-15-2009 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dshort (Post 37825)
They'll take the same flies that a wild trout will take after they've been in the stream for a week or so and all of the worm dunkers and truck chasers will be off to the next stream so you can pretty much have it to yourself. Wooley buggers, hare's ears and pheasant tail nymphs are all good bets.

Agree with Dshort. I've been involved in stocking Browns and Rainbows over the past couple of years up here in the Pocono freestone streams and I've seen both varieties take up what I'd consider to be natural feeding lines and start feeding actively within 20 minutes of being stocked. In my experience, they will strike on almost anything that a wild trout will strike on; including some of the classic dries, nymphs and streamers that have aleady been mentioned by the other posters.

As already recomended, I find that wooly buggers do work well for Rainbows; in black/black, olive/black, brown/brown and cream. Another good fly this time of year for Rainbows is a Chernobyl Ant; size 10 or 12, particlarly after a good rain or if the water is off-color.

Some of my friends have been know to "cheat" a little with freshly stocked Browns and Rainbows by tying up something that looks like a trout pellet; size 14-16, in brown. They do work well on freshly stocked fish. But, I've never gotten the urge to use one; and I hope I never do! :rolleyes:

jpbfly 08-16-2009 04:37 AM

As Pocono told you stoked bows start feeding quickly(he's right... as usual;))...first they stay in little groups in pools then split,trying to find good places for example little streams under branches where they'll take dries.They also quickly get used to nymphs and streamers...For instance we caught many a few weeks ago on our "black chub special" a few days later we had to change for a red one and a sparkling green one.Batistou's mini rabbit white streamer (size14) used with a floating line was very efficient too.
Some years ago...the fischmeister noticed bows were feeding close to the banks of a reservoir after the owner had just ran the lawn mower...you won't believe me but they were eating little pieces of grass:eek:;)...so he tied a dry with green thread which looked like a little "bunch of grass"....and caught big ones while the others didn't catch any...but this man is a wizzard;)