The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Mid-Atlantic Area (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/mid-atlantic-area/)
-   -   Savage River streamflow (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/mid-atlantic-area/7769-savage-river-streamflow.html)

troutslayer 02-06-2009 08:01 PM

Savage River streamflow

Hey everyone! The Savage River in Western Maryland is down to 101 cfs, perfect for flyfishing! Tomorrow should be a great day with the temp expected to be around 50 degrees! Unfortunately I am recovering from knee surgery and cannot make it. My new waders came in from Orvis the other day and they will be hanging in the basement tomorrow while my leg is propped up on a pillow! Hope some of you make it out!

arfishinbear 02-06-2009 08:06 PM

Re: Savage River streamflow

Get better soon and get out there man, I am getting all I can before my knee surgery the 17th of this month.
Bear

Ronnie z 02-06-2009 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troutslayer (Post 48268)
Hey everyone! The Savage River in Western Maryland is down to 101 cfs, perfect for flyfishing! Tomorrow should be a great day with the temp expected to be around 50 degrees! Unfortunately I am recovering from knee surgery and cannot make it. My new waders came in from Orvis the other day and they will be hanging in the basement tomorrow while my leg is propped up on a pillow! Hope some of you make it out!

I know how you feel had my knee done last year.Good luck and feel better.:icon_bigg

troutslayer 02-07-2009 08:01 AM

Let me know if any of you make it out and how the fishing was! Hope you catch the big one!!!

mcnerney 02-07-2009 08:28 AM

John

Sorry to hear about the knee, hope you have a speedy recovery. The one good thing, at least your down during the winter and not the summer!

Larry

hiddencreek 02-08-2009 03:19 PM

Fishing on the Savage is pretty good...I headed out today! Nice weather for the middle of February!! Caught a few browns on nymphs. I was driving around the reservoir on Savage River road and headed up stream and the road had about a foot of moving water and large chunks of ice...road closed...had to drive Big Run Road out! Went to the Cassleman yesterday before the water rose and became too murky...caught on rainbow on a streamer. Spring is in the air!

troutslayer 02-08-2009 05:00 PM

Thanks for the report! Was anything rising or any hatches? Did you try and dries?

hiddencreek 02-08-2009 07:25 PM

I did not see a single insect in the air...so I didn't use a dry fly. I wanted to try grey ghost and some wooly buggers but I have not stocked up on my flies yet!!

troutslayer 02-08-2009 07:40 PM

I'm a stubborn dry fly kind of guy! A few years ago I was unemployed due to downsizing during the Spring and Summer (tough break huh?). I used the Adams #16 always for starters and usually caught one. If that didn't work I switched to a #16 Lt. Cahill. These two flies caught more fish that year! I could bring them up that year when there wasn't a hatch on with these two dry flies! Can't say that will always work but I'd try them next time you are down there, I'm going to when I get up and around again. I asked my wife tonight that there must be a bridge down there somewhere that I could fish out of the van on but she said no! She is taking very good care of me during this time!

hiddencreek 02-08-2009 09:17 PM

I was thinking about trying a few dry flies (#16 BWO is my favorite stand-by for the Savage!) but it was the first real time out this year so I stuck with a sure win of the BH prince.