The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 02:00 PM

colter is on a distinguished road
Default Winter Fishing Tips

It's winter time again, and while I love it, it brings about some fishing difficulties. I just started fly fishing almost exactly a year ago, and I had a little bit of luck last winter. I was wondering if anybody had any tips that would come in handy. I will be fishing streams that are not that very big in size. They are occupied by mostly brook trout, and a good portion of those are wild. I am also in Pennsylvania, if that helps. Some tips would be much appreciated, thanks.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Winter Fishing Tips

I always relied on two streamer flies to get me through the winter on brook trout streams. Lew Oatman's Brook Trout Minnow and the Nine Three. Both of these are feather wing streamers and you may not be tying this type of fly however I will advise you to look at fly shops for something similar in size 4 and 6 and then fish them while moving down stream. Start at the head of the run/ pool and swing the fly across the piece of water from the head to the tail.

A quick search given the names of these flies will get you pictures. I thought I had both handy but do not, sorry bout that.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Colter,
Pick the best part of the day to fish when the sun is high and warm (relatively), and insects activity if any will occur usually during this time too. Midges, Baetis, and Streamers are the main players this time of year, so be sure and have the life cycle of the 2 bugs covered.

And use real wool socks too!

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 12-12-2010, 08:16 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Always take some extra dry clothes with you in case you trip and get water in your waders.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:17 AM

streamertyer will become famous soon enough

A photo of Oatman's Brook Trout can be found here:

lew oatman - cdelplato

Definitely a great streamer for larger, cannibalistic brook trout.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:03 AM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

Take a rag to dry your hands with..keeps the fingers a lot warmer and use-able.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:24 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Swing your flies, keeping 30 feet or so outside the guides, and flip the line back upstream. The less you strip, the less you freeze up your guides, if you hook something big, and you have frozen guides, getting the line in becomes difficult and you could lose a fish of a lifetime.

d
Old 12-18-2010, 09:45 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Midges are a good fly to have, as well as woolly buggers. I know some guys also swear by various worm patterns, but haven't used them too much.

Another tip: If you need to make a quick fire. I always carry a small first aid kit with me, and in it I make sure I have a handful of cotton balls and petroleum jelly (Chapstick.) Put a nice size glob of the chapstick on a couple of the cotton balls and light with a lighter. This will stay burning for quite a while (somewhere around the 5 minute mark) which should be plenty of time to get you other tinder going.

Good luck and stay safe!
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 12-21-2010, 11:33 PM

riversimple is on a distinguished road

those streamers look like the ticket, black ghosts also work exceptionally well and are along the same lines as that silver darter. woolly buggers are a go-to and in some rivers that sustain shrimp i do very well with #18 scuds