The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2009, 10:17 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Skunked yesterday and leaders

Got out a bit early from work yesterday, so I decided to hit a local stocked trout stream.

It was no secret, as I had some remote hope of. There were 15 cars there when I got there, but there was plenty of room to fish. It was stocked by VA DNR on Thursday morning. It was picked over and swept clean pretty quick.

I managed to get a strike once, but he spit the hook.

The upside was that I got to cast my 2wt that I got for Christmas. The St. Croix Legend Ultra casted nicely, although I did fight a 4-5 mph breeze pushing from upstream. Man, I need to get some more leaders before my big spring trip.

The cheapest leaders I have found (mono, tapered leaders) were $2.75 each. Anyone know of a better deal?
Old 03-14-2009, 01:15 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Skunked yesterday and leaders

that is a good price for leaders. why do you feel a need to find cheaper ones? how much did you pay for your rod? how much for the reel? in comparison, why the need to find something cheaper? some people use the same leader all season. are you "going through" leaders? are you using straight taper tippet at the end of the leader and before the fly? that is the section which is cut back in stages (while changing or losing flies) and then replaced, thereby never needing to touch the leader once one is attached.

i usually buy a three pack of 9' 5x leaders from SA for about $10 for my main trout fishing setup. IF i end up cutting it back beyond the tippet, it eventually turns into a 7' 4x leader. and i rarely touch that third leader in the pack by years' end unless i give one to a buddy.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:27 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I just try to get the best bargains.

I started last year with two each of 4X, 5X & 6X. One of each lasted the year. I like to have backups. Yes, I do tie tippet material when I get back a 2-3 feet on the leader (and they start at 9 footers). I've never extended the 9 feet because of some of smaller streams I fish at. I keep one (1) extra around as a practice leader for the backyard.

Only one of my rods cost me more than $100, the rest were between $60-$90 shipped. That is not to say they are cheap quality. The reels I never paid more than $40 for.

I don't have alot of money to throw around so if I am going to be in this sport (and I AM going to be in this sport), then I have to do it frugally. And, it's also balanced out on how much I get to fish. If I was on the water 45+ days a year, it would be different. I'm damn lucky to get 2 weeks a year, all told. As time moves on and I'm able to fish more, I will upgrade materials as necessary.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:41 PM

HookEmHorns will become famous soon enough

Wish I could find a deal like that for leaders! I only have two sizes now! And not much money to spend on fishing stuff... I don't remember what I paid for the leaders I got a couple weeks ago, but I think it was about $4 or $5 for two 2x Orvis Super Strong leaders. Then bought tippet too. Gets expensive if you want to use a variety of sizes! haha

HookEmHorns
Old 03-14-2009, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi axle27,

If you measure a tippet on a new 9' leader you will find that the tippet is only about 20" long. When you leader gets 18' to 22" gone it is time to tie on a new tippet. Or better yet, put a loop at the 20" mark and loop your tippets on. To really know where you tippet stops you need to measure it. For sure it is not 36" long.

Frank
Old 03-15-2009, 02:10 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

good luck in your search for leaders cheaper than what you mentioned. i understand watching your expenses, really i do, but it seems to me IF you find cheaper prices than that, the stuff may be out-dated stock someone is trying to unload on the ultra-frugal and super-unwary.

perhaps you should look into making your own tapered leaders. after the initial investment, you'll come out ahead. someday. lol it just seems to me you could save money in another area, another part of your life.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:38 AM

Ezamora,

I feel ya. Skimp in some places to get other things. Management of priorities. I'd probably do a tied leader, but I'd have to get alot better in my blood knots. Sometimes, I feel like I spend more time tying that at the stream's edge than I do fishing.

Frank,

As usual, you are absolutely correct. I wasn't for sure of the distance, so I just put out the 36" number for discussion sake. I have a 5X that has a couple of wind knots in it. I'm going to measure it and add what is necessary from tippet material. If it's too long, I'll taper it with other, thicker tippet material.

I'm learning.....and you guys are always a great help.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:53 AM

mikehn is on a distinguished road

Boy, I guess the economy really is bad.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:26 PM

MontanaMoose will become famous soon enoughMontanaMoose will become famous soon enough

Hello axle, you could try the double surgeon's knot for building your own leaders, loop them at both ends then add tippet to the business end, also with a loop. That way you can changed tippet quickly as the situation dictates and even if the tippet section gets short, you can add a piece of the same X with the same double surgeon's knot. The fish won't know.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose