The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2010, 10:53 PM

riversimple is on a distinguished road
Default Understanding Wild Trout Conservation

I'm a big advocate of wild fish. Growing up i spent much of my time in P.A streams with wild fish and have noticed a dramatic fluctuation in wild species namely brook trout in waters i fish. I say fluctuation because in some waters their numbers disappeared all together while in others the wild trout population improved dramatically. Improving a fishery begins with education, I feel this is an informative link all of us should take a look at, enjoy and a merry Christmas to all.

http://www.patrout.org/Documents/Ref...ionRoadMap.pdf
Old 12-25-2010, 12:27 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Understanding Wild Trout Conservation

I grew up outside of williamsport PA. and the best thing we can do for wild trout in PA is not to talk about them too much. The less people know about the wide spread trout fishery the better. I have always been content to allow the masses follow the stocking trucks. Pennsylvania is my best memories of trout fishing and I've been around a little.

Have a good Christmas,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-25-2010, 12:12 PM

I agree with you, It's also fact that infrastructure and population has risen in places where desolation once existed. Unfortunately more and more pristine wild trout water is being exposed to pollution, water diversion and damming as well as stocking programs which as detailed in the article are absolutely detrimental to wild populations. The hope should be that knowledge for the situation will lead to increased regulation and restoration.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Some history from an expatriated Pennsylvanian may be in line here.

Please don't interpret my replies as being apathetic but when I lived in my home area we were fighting this same battle in 1978 and I got a little too involved with the cause. By the time 1988 rolled around I knew too much about what was really happening. With this knowledge came a sort of curse. Whenever I drove down toward Muncy PA. and had a pair of polarized sunglasses on I could see the massive cloud of sulfur di oxide gas that was drifting over the sky as far as the eye could see. The cloud comes from the coal fired PP&L plant at Washingtonville PA. I also knew that none of the other drivers heading east on I 180 were noticing it and probably didn't care what it was if they did.

I ended up as a person who knew all the threats and couldn't ignore them. I knew what I was seeing when the new landfill was built in Clinton County right beside the Susquehanna River! I knew what that stuff in the lagoons at the International Paper Company at Lock Haven PA. was. I knew way too much and it began to take a toll on me. It was hard to enjoy even beautiful places like my special little streams way out in the Tiadaghton, Susquehannock and Tioga State forests because I knew what was up in the atmosphere and that a prevailing wind could bring it to them even though they were so remote. Instead of enjoying my life in the outdoors I was a man who everything I looked at was either already destroyed or threatened. In my eyes there was no safe place and all that existed were things I had to fight to protect.

I know, I know, someone has to do it. I spent my time in the trenches trying to sway the public. I worked for a large agency where our focus was to try to sway the State Senators and our U.S. Congressmen and Senators. The effort was exhausting and to this day I am not so sure I made any difference at all. It is hard to attract the attention of the U.S. congress to the cause of a bunch of Tree Huggers' when they are caught up in the Iran Contra scandal with one side protecting their President and the other so focused on attacking the Illegal deal that they don't have time for Acid Rain or Watershed Management issues and so on. After Iran Contra there were more "issues of National importance" for the government to deal with so....................... After ten years of thinking I could save a stream for future generations I decided to let it all go. I started going to my streams and finding a good place to sit then plucking one of those beers I stuffed in my vest pack out and enjoying what I had. After about a year of this I was cured, and no I was not drunk for a year . I could once again see the beauty that was still available for my eyes and my mind to take in and I indulged to the max.

Now, I live in Alaska and it's The Pebble Project! And if not that it's "Drill Baby Drill" and turning our sights on ANWR, why not? There will always be a fight. There will always be someone who will not want to tear it down for the sake of creating a job. Right now it seems we need about 10 million of them but Pebble and ANWR combined will not solve that issue will they? There is no escape my friend, I am hoping to go to Illiamma this year and if I make it I will enjoy my time while over there.

God Bless you for caring,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-25-2010, 01:55 PM

wonderful response from you sir, i would like to think your efforts didn't go unnoticed but as you say there will always be a side against the cause. It's nice to hear from someone who has a pursuit beyond the stringer (to say the least).