The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Mid-Atlantic Area (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/mid-atlantic-area/)
-   -   stocked trout (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/mid-atlantic-area/8962-stocked-trout.html)

wesley 04-14-2009 11:59 AM

stocked trout

Iam wesley I am 12 and live in wheeling west virginia and I dont have any places that dont have stock trout only and I have been haveing a hardtime catching them on a fly rod if anyone has some tips let me know thanks,wesley

Frank Whiton 04-14-2009 12:47 PM

Re: stocked trout

Hi Wesley,

Welcome to the forum I am glad you decided to join NAFFF. You may be our youngest member. At least the youngest that is posting right now. I think we can get you some tips but it would help to know what gear and flies your are using. Also is there a fly shop close to you?

Frank

MBWCC 04-14-2009 09:43 PM

It has been my personal observation that recently stocked trout are obsessed with bright orange objects. For example, the local fly shop sells a "steely stone" which is essentially a fluorescent orange colored pheasant tail nymph. It kills for the first 2 weeks after the state(s) stock the local streams. My personal favorite is a fluoresecent orange silicone egg. I have fished a pool of trout stocked 2-3 days prior and spent more time removing barbless hooks than I spent watching a fluorescent orange silicone egg drift through the pool.

Absent either of those two flourescent orange flies or another close substitute I have been known to overhand knot a small bit of fluoresecent orange "egg" yarn in the tippet or leader about 10" above the first wet fly. When I use the overhand knotted fluorescent orange yarn I get more than a few what I refer to as "head shake and off" which I suspect is a trout who grabbed the yarn and caught a bit of floss on his/her teeth so couldn't spit the yarn immediately. I also get a few fish foul hooked on the first fly which suggests a bite at the yarn followed by flossing tippet through the trout's mouth.

If all you have is stocked trout (recent stocked at that--less than 2-3 weeks since stocking) give fluorescent orange a try.

peregrines 04-15-2009 01:29 PM

Hey Wesley welcome to the board.

What flies are you using and what kind of water are you fishing--- small fast mountain streams, slow streams, bigger rivers, small shallow ponds, big deep lakes?

What patterns and size flies have you been using? If you give us a little more info maybe we could help ya a bit.

Since the water temps are warming up a bit, the trout should get more active, and hopefully the fishing will get better for you.

mark

Tracker12 04-15-2009 05:06 PM

Also the San Juan worm in red or orange works well on stocked stram trout. I fished opening day in PA in a fly fishing area. At the top of the section were a bunch of trout that were getting full of all the power bait coming over the falls. I put on a floresent great egg imitation and had a ball catching and releasing. I guess I was matching the hatch.

wesley 04-15-2009 08:31 PM

well first off thank you guys for helping well no one in my family fly fishes I seen some one on tv fly fishing and 2 days later I bot a cheap fly rod at wal mart and did not no wat to do so I bot a book and read it then I cot some bass at a pond by my house and I LOVED it so I bot a FLY fishing magazine named fly fishing and tying journal and their was an essay contest the winers got to go to a fly fishing camp in CA I WON and got to go from west virginia to CA for free and my pic was in their magazine a fue months ago with a rambow i cot wen I was their but the trout I cot were natives and thay did not sa any thing about stocked trout so I need some tips to help me catch more stocked trout I will try anthing y guys sa will work I fish in lakes small streams and big streams with a 4 wait sage fly rod I received for christmas this year so thankS agan ,WESLEY

peregrines 04-15-2009 11:11 PM

WOW!!!!!

Great stuff Wesley, and congratulations on winning that essay contest-- and on catching those fish. It sounds like you are a die hard fly fisherman.

Ask your parents, and if it's OK with them, send me your address, and I'll plunk a few flies in the mail for ya.

mark

MBWCC 04-17-2009 10:21 PM

I was asked via PM for a description and source of the "Steely Stone" I mentioned above. The "Steely Stone" was purchased from White Clay Outfitters, Newark, DE. I tied the silicone salmon egg but it is also available from WCO.

The following are links to pictures of both flies I mentioned.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/k...54_Cropped.jpg

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/k...84_Cropped.jpg

Tracker12 04-18-2009 10:47 AM

Very cool looking. Lovr the Pittshburgh Steely fly.

wesley 04-20-2009 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peregrines (Post 56759)
WOW!!!!!

Great stuff Wesley, and congratulations on winning that essay contest-- and on catching those fish. It sounds like you are a die hard fly fisherman.

Ask your parents, and if it's OK with them, send me your address, and I'll plunk a few flies in the mail for ya.

mark

edited out address- sorry I should have specified sending it by personal message- mark

thanks, wesley