The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2011, 09:42 PM

dossphoto is on a distinguished road
Default Virginia License

I wanted to give everyone the heads up on this while it is still open to public comment. There is a proposal to increase all hunting/fishing licenses in Virginia by the maximum allow by law. That would be $5 per license for residents and $50 per license for nonresidents. There are also a host of other 'user fees' and permits proposed. These proposals will become effective July 1, 2011 I believe, so now is the time to make your voice heard, if you so choose to do so.

Proposed Regulation
Old 01-06-2011, 02:21 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Virginia License

Hi,

I'm not sure if your post supports or is in opposition to the proposed increases.

My first annual fishing license when I moved back to Alaska was $100.00 and I never even blinked when I paid for it. As a new resident I fell under the auspices of non-resident.

I believe that individual states do have every right to and should regulate the licensor fee for the privilege to harvest game and fish at what ever level is necessary to support departmental budgets.

Unless credible evidence can be produced that the additional revenue is being channeled into privet yachts, offshore bank accounts, or black ops. Everything costs money and to maintain state departments of fish and wildlife fall under the "everything" clause.

I have been a resident & domiciliary of The Commonwealth of Virginia also and at the time I took my residency there the non resident fee (which applied) was I believe 28 - 30 dollars. This seemed very affordable almost too low to me even back then. If I were to move back to Virginia and see the price for my first license at $86.00 it would have no bearing on my fishing, I would gladly buy the license.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-06-2011, 01:08 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

The first place governors/legislatures of cash-strapped states seem to look when its budget-cut time are their however-named Dept.'s of Natural Resources. I was a NY resident for awhile; the resident license fees are a pittance. Now, as a non-resident, I pay $155 for an entire year of small game hunting and fishing. Around here, that's one night out at a fancy restaurant for a couple. When I think of the fun I have for the 155 dollars, I'm more than happy to pay it.

Some of my best friends are state agency wildlife biologists. They get paid jacksh_t, and have no money to do their jobs the way we'd love to have them do them. I have no problem whatsoever with meaningful increases in license fees.

LOL, I just remembered: I used to work for an international single species conservation organization. When I think back to how much guys would whine about a 2dollar license increase, I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Last edited by gt05254; 01-06-2011 at 01:09 PM. Reason: apostrophe in the wrong place and then forgot a word.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:33 PM

dossphoto is on a distinguished road

I purposefully left my opinions out of my comments. I didn't want to sway the way others were thinking about the topic. I do however have a very strong opinion about these fee increase, especially since they were just increased two years ago without results. Since then the numbers of licensed anglers in the state is falling by 5 to 10% a year, and I do not understand why they are leaning on the remaining anglers to support their inflated budgets. I have been fishing the Smith River for the last 15 years and have NEVER been checked by a game warden. Money well spent.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:39 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

For the record, I've fished all over North America for 30 years and have never been checked by a game warden. I've hunted all over North America for the same time span and have only been checked by a game warden once - in the middle of Nowhere, Tennessee. I'm not sure whether or not you've been checked by a game warden is any sort of benchmark for whether an agency is spending its money wisely or not.
Just a thought,
Gary