The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 04:09 PM

ryan11211 is on a distinguished road
Default Harrisonburg, VA?

Hi, since the fishing pretty much grinds to a halt in new york in January/February, I'm trying to plan a crazy weekend 700 mile road trip from NYC to someplace south of NYC. I've been looking at Harrisonburg VA, since they have some Spring fed creeks. Does anyone have experience in that area? Any favorite public access areas? legendary monster trout streams?

I've never been south of baltimore, so any suggestions would be wonderful!

-ryan
Old 01-11-2011, 08:04 PM

estrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Harrisonburg, VA?

Years ago (1995), I fished the private/guide area of the Mossy Creek. It is a public spring creek that is stocked by the State of Virgina with mostly fingerlings; they move up into the private access areas and grow large. I caught a 4.5 lbs Brown and several nice Rainbows. The guide said that the fish put on about a pound a year. The creek is small and crystal clear. Your best source of information for the area would be Murray's Fly Shop. The bad news is that when I spoke with them last year (I was going to be in Charlottesville, VA) they said that the creek had declined and silted in.

On the Charlottesville trip, I decide to fish the Rose River (Rose River Farm). It is stocked by the landowner for fly fishing. It is a nice location and river, but it is stocked. However, it was a great experience for my 9 year old son. He caught 4 large Rainbows with his 5 wt, while wading. My wife also enjoyed it, and I did too. I fished the most accessible and heavily fished area (per the owner); it was home to the spookier fish.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:24 AM

ryan11211 is on a distinguished road

Thanks!
I was looking for public areas, to keep costs down. But I'm finding that, like a lot of NY rivers, the good spots are all private.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:51 AM

thenextlevel is on a distinguished road

There is lots of good fishing in and around Harrisonburg VA. Mossy Creek is a tremendous place to fish, especially during the spring and summer. Check out www.mossycreekflyfishing.com it's located in Harrisonburg.