The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2011, 06:05 PM

dbo342000 is on a distinguished road
Default New Member in SC

Hello All,

New guy here, new to the sport also.

A little about me:

Moved to SC in 2006 for work, and never really had time for any fishing due to long hours. Starting last year I managed to get a lot more free time, and started fishing on a fairly regular basis.
Went up to the Chattooga (Earls Ford), on advice of a friend, and really loved that area, even though I didn't catch anything. Got bored due to no action and visited the Walhalla Hatchery. There were several guys fishing that day down on the east fork where the hatchery drains back into the river.
There were a couple guys fly fishing but the majority were fishing light spinning gear. Everyone was catching some 6-8" bows, and I even caught one (my 1st stream trout). I could see plenty of fish in the pool we were all at, but they sure had a case of lock jaw. Standing about 20ft to my right was a younger fellow fly fishing right in the middle of all us "Spinners". about every 15 to 20 min he would get hooked up and pull out a nice 12-14" bow.
after about an hour and a half of that, I got frustrated and decided to head out for some new territory on down the road (seen a couple nice looking places along the way). As I was leaving the hatchery, I drove across the small culvert that craosses the stream up above the little dam as you enter, and noticed a small parking lot to the left. Thought maybe there was something upstream so I stopped to check it out.
Well, I got out of the car,grabbed a pole and walked over to the road on top of the culvert. When I looked down what did I see, 5 fish that were 12-15" size. I went into stealth mode so I wouldn't scare them away and worked my way down to the edge of the stream opposite where I spotted the fish. I had on a little white Mepps, and thought my chances to catch one of those guys were between slim and none. But I took my shot at it anyway. I slung that mepps in the direction of the fish and it shot up into the culvert. Not want I intended, but oh well, go with what ya got. Give the rod a couple twitches and started reeling.
BAM ! Fish On !
Ended up being a nice 14" bow, I soon caught one of his 12' buddies.
It was nice to catch a respectable fish.

Well, since then I have became a little addicted to Trout fishing, Only problem is my luck has been terrible. Only landed 1 fish since then.

So now I have gone and done it - My Cousin and I bought each other some beginner fly rods for xmas (in hopes we will hook more fish), and now all I can think about is getting out and gettin bit on some nice streams.

In fact, the cousin lives on the North Fork Potoomac in WV, and I am heading there tomorrow to try our luck. Should be humorous since neither of us can cast at all.

Look forward to sharing info with all of you, and learning how to do this correctly.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:11 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New Member in SC

Welcome to the forum, you have come to the right place! I wish I had done what you just did before I trapsed around MO for an entire summer without catching one trout! Being on this website, you will figure it all out soon enough, browse all of the FAQ's in here, and ask your own questions; you'll get answers before the day is up every time!!!!
Old 01-20-2011, 10:00 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum and the great sport of fly fishing. Try to find a fly fishing club in your area or maybe a Trout Unlimited Chapter. Another approach would be to stop by the local fly shop and ask questions about fishing in your area and what they recommend and whether or not there is a fishing club available. If you could find a mentor to help you first hand would be the best approach to learning to fly fish. There are a lot of YouTube videos for you to watch that will help with casting, knots, etc.
Here is one of my favorites (this is a three part video):
Don't hesitate to ask questions, we will try to help you as much as possible, good luck in your fishing adventures!

Larry

Old 01-21-2011, 06:11 AM

Thanks Ausable and Mcernny,

Well, I am already a little ahead of the curve here.
Joined the local TU chapter (Mountain Bridge) which meets just arund the corner from my home.
Also found a local fly shop (Riverblade in Spartanburg) and the owner there has already been very helpful, and has even offered some free casting lessons (can't beat that!)
Also, I have trolled the net for all things FF over the past 2 months. I did find all the Tight Lines vids, along with many others including Joe Humphries and Lefty Kreh.
My goal is to have some proficiency with casting by the end of spring (meaning accurancy, and timing).

Anyway, thanks for your advice and I hope to hear alot more from you.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

to this great forum,looking forward to seeing your pics and reports
Old 01-21-2011, 10:07 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbo342000 View Post
Thanks Ausable and Mcernny,

Well, I am already a little ahead of the curve here.
Joined the local TU chapter (Mountain Bridge) which meets just arund the corner from my home.
Also found a local fly shop (Riverblade in Spartanburg) and the owner there has already been very helpful, and has even offered some free casting lessons (can't beat that!)
Also, I have trolled the net for all things FF over the past 2 months. I did find all the Tight Lines vids, along with many others including Joe Humphries and Lefty Kreh.
My goal is to have some proficiency with casting by the end of spring (meaning accurancy, and timing).

Anyway, thanks for your advice and I hope to hear alot more from you.
dbo342000: Sounds like you are definitely on the right track. Don't hesitate to ask the guys in your local TU for some help. Most fly fishers are more than welcome to help a fellow angler. The offer for the free casting lessons will go a long way in your learning curve to casting proficiency. The videos on the net are great but there just isn't any substitute for having someone there to see the mistakes you are doing in your casting.

Larry

Old 01-22-2011, 02:37 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the forum! You will learn a lot from this website. Are you familiar with the Potomac at Barnum, WV? If so, when the weather breaks, I can meet you there and try to help. I fish there often in the Spring and Summer. The road down is long, twisty and no guardrails. In the winter it could be a one way trip down the road until Spring!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 01-24-2011, 05:51 PM

Thanks Troutslayer,

Have not been to that stretch of river yet. Just returned a couple hours ago from Smokehole area on South Branch Potomac. Unfortunately, we were not brave enough to take our 1st fly fishing test in the 20 degree freezin cold.
I will post up next time I go up that way (early March). Maybe we can meet up for some fishin.