The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2009, 09:32 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about
Default Savage River

Anyone fishing the Savage lately? How have you done and what have you used? I've been doing fairly well with a variety of flies-Adams #16 (the brook trout have been hitting the Adams dry pretty well), Caddis, tan and yellow, Blue Dun (yes, the brown trout whacked that the other day!) Lt. Cahill, nymphs have done well too-gold-ribbed hare's ear and Pheasant Tail. Just curious how others are doing?
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 05-27-2009, 09:47 PM

RyanSheehan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Savage River

Fished it two weeks ago. Great midge hatch in the morning and evening. Fishing was best underneath with pt nymph. Landed a few, lost a few you know how it goes. Should be back up in the next week or two, hopefully the sulphers show up soon.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:26 PM

fysshynge is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Savage River

I read an article recently....it appears that the "rock snot" has been detected on the Savage.

Here is the article/link: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/o...,3615001.story
Old 01-16-2010, 06:09 AM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

That's not the worst of it. They are replacing the gates on the dam upstream and not sure about the condition of the fish. They had to lower the water to allow the repairs. Heard there was fish dying but that is unconfirmed. Anyone know anything up to date?
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 01-18-2010, 07:55 AM

tjc is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Savage River

I fish the Savage a couple of times each year. I love its wild clear water and active brown trout. Only problem for me is that I never catch more than 3 or 4 trout. I see trout rising everywhere but can't get them to take my flies. Next visit I will stop at the Orvis Shop next to the flyfishing only area and ask for help.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:22 PM

That would be good idea to stop there. They are nice people and will let you know (and sell!) what's hatching. I fish there a lot as it's only 30 minutes from my home. They fish are smart and fished hard in the summer. Three or four in a day would be a good day sometimes! I'd be happy with that. Sometimes if they're hot you can do even better. Need a lot of patience though. It's a beautiful place to fish!!