The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2009, 06:41 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about
Default Beaver Creek and Town Creek Md.

Hi guys
I am going to be in the Hagerstown area for the week end with a fly rod and was wondering if anyone know anything about these 2 streams they are both very close to where i am staying. If anyone knows of a fly shop in the area with reports would be awesome.
thanks in advance
JimW
Old 06-10-2009, 09:50 AM

ab4usa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Beaver Creek and Town Creek Md.

I have fished Beaver Creek. Good location with wild browns and rainbow escapees from the hatchery above the C&R section. There are some big bows at the bottom of the C&R section as well, In the upper section I like San Juan worms with another dropper like a pheasant tail in faster water. The guys I met at the pool at the end of the C&R section seem to like crayfish type flies for the big bows. There is a orvis shop in Frederick (down town on Market Street) that should have an update.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:19 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

Hi ab4usa
Thanks for the info i am heading there friday and will stop by the shop to see what they have to say. I will post a report when i return on monday
thanks
Jim
Old 06-11-2009, 08:21 AM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

Hey Jim,try huntingcreekoutfitters.com.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:42 AM

theroyalhumpy is on a distinguished road

I was up in Frederick for a meeting yesterday (Sept. 2, 2010) and decided to make the short 20 min. trek to Beaver Creek's C&R section. Weather was HOT but on the water it was suprisingly pleasant due to cool water temps and the heavy canopy. Started fishing downstream of the bridge at Beaver Creek Church Rd. until I realized I was muddying up the water too much at which point I switched it up and started working my way upstream. Started fishing a caddis when I saw some falling to the surface. No luck there. Figured maybe the fish were hanging in the deep pools due to the hot temps so I switched over to a prince nymph which got the attention of the numerous minnows I saw dancing around but no trout. Kept working my way upstream to some of the other riffles/pools and managed to startle a BIG FELLA problably in the neighborhood of 20". It was encouraging to see this no doubt. Saw a bunch of other decent size fish (12" or so) hanging in the current and occasionally flashing (Polarized lenses are a must). Switched over to an olive wooly bugger hoping that might get their attention but no dice. Unfortunately my trip was cut when my wife called telling me our 3 year old lab got into the advil. Little guy is doing ok thank god but needless to say that lunker that I saw has given me reason to return. I probably will wait till they stock it though because conditions there are challenging in that it is a small river with not much current save for the few riffles and trout have plenty of time to decide whether or not to take your fly. Casting can be tough due to the size so a 4 WT or less is recommended.