The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in Canada > Mountain

Mountain Northwest Territories and Alberta. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2009, 12:53 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of
Default Alberta

Since there hasn't been anything posted recently I thought I would give an update with no specific small waters mentioned.
Alberta is experiencing a drought this year, maybe the worst in a few decades.
For many of the smaller lakes this is not a good thing, already low levels and high water temperatures are just exacerbated by our recent weather.
Alberta has been no stranger to water loss over the last decade or two and in many cases you will find launching ramps high and dry, many feet back from any nearby water.
Southwestern Alberta is probably one of the better known areas and since it depends largely on snowpack the rivers and streams are doing alright but of course they probably have more pressure on them than most of the northern waters do together when it comes to fly fishing.
Recently a magazine article, naming small rivers and streams and giving directions was written by a person from the south and published in a popular Canadian fly fishing magazine. Because many of the places mentioned are very very small with limited water and fish it did arouse some negative feelings but so far it has not effected the water use any more than is normal.
As the season progresses the fishing is still okay in most places, there is rain today and scheduled for a few days so we are hoping all will be well.
The Bow is fishing as it usually fishes and remains a very popular fishing area. There are moves by the Regional District to let building developers build large complexes on the river banks, displaying a lack of understanding/caring for the value of the river in dollars and cents as well as what is in my opinion a flagrant disregard for the environment.
Recently we were out after Pike on Lake Wabamun and scored a few, nothing too large. I hope to get down to the south again to try some trout fishing before too long.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:21 PM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Alberta

I hope things will turn around in your area. Putting more angling pressure on a already stressed fisherie can have a long term impact. I plan to take a trip out west someday to fish a little and visit the sites.

Marc.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:52 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Hey Marc I agree, I think we are all watching carefully.
When you do come let me know, I may be able to steer you in a few good directions.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Kerry,

Thanks for the report. I am sorry your fishery is having such bad conditions. I think most of us just figured Alberta would have a bunch of water everywhere. Lets hope it gets better soon.

Frank
Old 07-07-2009, 09:10 PM

It has been grim for farmers and fishers alike. Hey fisherfolks are always optimistic. I will try and update here once in awhile, I hope to get out on a river or two very soon
Old 07-08-2009, 12:02 AM

josey is on a distinguished road

Hey kerry.
I haven't been to alberta since i was a little guy, but i remember me and my dad fishing some awesome lakes. I'm from manitoba and i'm hoping to get back out there to do some fly fishing, which has been long overdue. I'v always heard good stuff about the bow. Have you ever fly fished the crowsnest, i might be going throught there in the next month.

Also, i see you guys are getting hit hard with fires again.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:29 PM

lifesaflyin is on a distinguished road

the foothills along the forestry trunk road have been getting alot of rain.i been out there last month and going again this weekend. from james thompson up to fickle has been fairly wet. i was rained out of my tent.

this confirms it. look for the dates on the last fireban, last bans were in may.

Alberta Firebans

fishing is good. bring a raincoat.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:52 PM

http://alberta.ca/acn/200907/26590C2...F31ED1E8.html#

A request from the Alberta Government and there has been almost no rain since it was issued.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Kerry,

Since Alberta is in such trouble how is BC and NWT doing?

Frank
Old 08-29-2009, 06:37 PM

I was just down on Vancouver Island. From what I found there I understand there is some worry about water temps and levels for the spawning runs. Campbell River looked a little low, the Oyster was very low.
There is more fresh water there, but I think in some areas at least, water levels are an issue in that they are lower and warmer than in previous years. They have had heat waves there, though I know some areas have had quick harsh rainfalls. B.C. has had a terrible fire season, they are still in trouble, very little rainfal and certainly no extended rains.
I am not sure about the NWT's I can do a check with their department of environment and see what is going on there.
I do not remember such a dry year. While we were in Kamloops it was 44 to 45 Celsius.