The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in Canada > Mountain

Mountain Northwest Territories and Alberta. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 08:29 PM

kjd is on a distinguished road
Default Identify minnow

I have a creek behind my house that recently has been over run with minnows. I have heard they are Rainbow Brown hybrids but have also been told they look like sucker minnows. What do you all think? Thank you for your time!Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:28 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Identify minnow

Sure looks like a creek chub to me, or some chub species at least. I had a brook trout stream over run by them near me and are now out competing the brookies unfortunately. I catch about 20:1 brook trout of those.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 06-20-2012, 01:38 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Identify minnow

The dark back along with the purple stripe is interesting. While the most entertaining way to ID them may be to keep a few and raise them in a tank, that might be a bit resource intensive. I can't completely ID the fish. I think Troutwhisperer's Creek Chub suggestion might be a good one.. that's what it looks like to me from the photo.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...