The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Re: allen trout reel

My first hand experience is that I have had great dealings with Justin (Allen & Co). I own an Allen and an Alpha and, soon I hope I will own more. Previously I fished with Abels that cost a lot more money. IMO the my Alpha and my Trout reels are the same quality as the Abels. I like my Alpha and Trout reels so much that I sold all of my Abels and used the money to purchase other fly fishing gear. As long as Justin is still in business and giving the highest quality at the best prices I will buy all of my reels from Justin. Matter of fact I believe so strongly in the quality of Allen & Co I've purchase 3 Nano Ti Rods and Trout Reels.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:18 PM

rmorrison is on a distinguished road

I've got a couple trout 5/7s, a trout 3/5 (my favorite), an Alpha 8/9, and an Alpha 3/4. All are smooth, sturdy, and nice looking...I could not be happier with the quality and function of Justin's reels.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:05 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

I also ordered a reel at the end of the year. At first they lost my order. Then I did not receive the reel I ordered but was given another reel to get me by. The reel I received had some contruction flaws but works. I was told that when the new shipment arrived in March I would get the appropriate reel. So far I have not gotten that reel. They seem like good people but this transaction has not worked out for me.
I would NOT feel very comfortable buying product from them again.

UPDATE: FIVE MONTHS LATER AND STILL NO REEL!
BUYER BEWARE

Last edited by hardhat; 05-06-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:22 PM
Business Member

allenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhat View Post
I also ordered a reel at the end of the year. At first they lost my order. Then I did not receive the reel I ordered but was given another reel to get me by. The reel I received had some contruction flaws but works. I was told that when the new shipment arrived in March I would get the appropriate reel. So far I have not gotten that reel but I have faith that I will be taken care of. They come accross as very good people that try to offer good products at good pricing.
I started using a new software program and there were issues with orders prior to Jan 3rd. To my knowledge 99% of the orders have been recouped. If there has been an issue a PM would do just fine to finalize the order. Send me a PM and we can work out your issue. Ofcourse if there is a mistake ill get it fixed asap.

Last edited by allenflyfishing; 03-13-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:41 AM

sthpaw is on a distinguished road

My experience has been pretty similar to Arkman's except no reel, no refund and I did not ask for free advice or anything else, just what I paid for in November. Lots of promises of next week until Justin was angry with me for a negative post.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:47 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I got an XL in 7/8 and an Alpha in 7/8. I have an order in for a Trout in 3/5 (or 5/7, whichever). I'm in no great hurry. I know Justin has been hittin' it in Hawaii....

Both of the reels I currently have are great. You won't be disappointed. There will always be those who have had bad experiences and such...Justin is a standup guy and will work with ya.

Last edited by axle27; 04-26-2011 at 07:48 AM. Reason: addition
Old 04-26-2011, 09:12 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

A few weeks ago I IM'd Justin and asked if he had any Alpha 3/4 reels in stock. He got back to me in minutes and said he had one. I told him to invoice me, I completed the order and had the reel in three days. The reel looks and works great on my new 3wt.

Yat's Blog: http://pleinaircolorado.blogspot.com/