The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 09:02 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vermont BANS Felt Soled Wadding Boots

We have didymo here in CT and when I recently spoke to a state fisheries biologist about it, he told me that patches are small and few and far between. Furthermore, they don't expect that the didymo will ever become as bad as has been predicted and because the algae is native to the northern hemisphere it likely that we will never face the problem like they're dealing with in New Zealand
Old 03-04-2012, 10:36 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Early on there was a great post with several links (all good reads), but this was the one eye-opener ... as in why do felt boot bottoms have to me made of 'felt?'

''When researchers looked at this question it became obvious that felt presented disinfection problems that other materials did not. The main reason for this is the nature of the felt material. Felt is constructed as a dense mat of randomly woven fibers. It has large interstitial spaces that can be a perfect trap for any small material. Gates, in the study referenced above, did extensive work to determine the relative ability of various wader materials to trap WD spores. In her experiments, felt trapped 100% of the WD spores that it was exposed to while rubber trapped none. This is dramatic evidence that felt soles present a much greater risk of transport than rubber soles."

My question is why do felt bottoms have to be made of 'felt?' I look at the 'felt' bottoms of my Korker Chromes and the material is anything but 'felt.' Not sure what it is, appears to be a 'man made material' of some sort like woven 'plastic' threads. Stuff is harder than heck, takes screw in studs easily, etc., etc. AND really grips the bottom (mine are self inserted studs placed around the outside edge/heel).

Have run an 'non-scientific' experiment the last two trips back from the Rogue. Just let the boots 'drain naturally' for an hour and then set them on paper toweling. End game was there was damned little for the paper to absorb.

Thought here only, if banned should not be on 'felt bottoms' per se, but on 'what' the 'felt' is made of .... ? Bottom line (or so it appears) is the Korker stuff will hold water, BUT will not absorb water.

Thoughts?

fae
Old 03-04-2012, 07:54 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

As I understand it, Missouri has recently banned wading boots with "fibrous" soles. Looks like this would include your Korkers.
The interesting thing is, they only banned these boots in TROUT PARKS! Go figure!
Old 03-04-2012, 08:13 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

You will always find someone always starts somewhere as with the Lead Shot Issue there are certain places over here where it's Banned & others there are no worries about it at this stage at least.
It will eventually be phased in Worldwide whether Felt or Synthetic,however how long it takes is another question & as mentioned it's a big issue in New Zealand,Friends have all had to buy new Wading Boots.
Brian.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:14 PM

cw76 has a spectacular aura aboutcw76 has a spectacular aura about

We need a "wonder soul" or something.. Made from or impregnated with a compound that can some how deal with(kill) or repel the organisms that may be retained while in the water. Its seems like slippery slope, but I imagine someone will come up with something. Pretty soon Simms will have an entire line.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:25 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

Cw 76.
I was thinking along the same Lines,why isn't there a product we can treat our gear with even if it had to be supervised & if necessary paperwork supplied,in between Fishing in different areas,States,Countries etc. because when I returned to Australia I had to fill out a The Quarantine Slip where I had been Fishing,however the main issue was the time lag between Fishing & arriving back home.
Brian.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:10 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Vermont BANS Felt Soled Wadding Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFlinger2421 View Post
As I understand it, Missouri has recently banned wading boots with "fibrous" soles. Looks like this would include your Korkers.
The interesting thing is, they only banned these boots in TROUT PARKS! Go figure!
First time I've seen the term 'fibrous,' have a link to that? That could be a darned interesting read ..... 'coming to where you live soon?'
Old 03-04-2012, 09:27 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

I suspect that product is Dawn dish soap. A true story: My sis was having a huge flea problem out in Oregon. The epidemic of the little buggers were driving her dogs nuts. She'd tried everthing but then one day she noticed a fly land on a bubble of her dish water as she was doing dishes and then watched as the fly froze. Turned out he'd just encountered instant death, aka Dawn antiebacterial dish soap and was dead instantly, on the spot where he landed.. She immediately filled her law sprayer with dawn and water and sprayed her lawn and voila--no more flea problems. Wonder what it would do to whirling disease or didymo?
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 03-04-2012, 09:32 PM

Now THAT was an interesting post. For my two 'old Doggies' I use "K9Advantix 2" or equal, but it's expensive as all heck.

A far less pricie alternative? Assuming either one would take/accept getting a bath ... short of a dip in the river?

Hummmm ... which reminds me, I'm two weeks late with their monthly 'application.'
fae
Old 03-04-2012, 11:25 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

fredaevans:
Check Rapid Eddies posts on page 3 of this thread. That is where I first read about Missouri's "fibrous" law. I would be willing to bet the other state that have passed felt bans will modify their laws. Redington tried "crushed walnut shells"! I was thinking about gluing those 3M green pot scrubbing pads to the bottoms of mine!