The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Fly Fisherman in Japan Earthquake

Neversink,

What could I say other than glad to hear you are well and too bad this has happened.

Write when you can,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-14-2011, 07:59 PM

neversink will become famous soon enoughneversink will become famous soon enough

Thanks everyone!

Now it's Day 5 and international community in Tokyo has calmed down a lot.
Nuclear power plant trouble have done more damage in psychology than in physical reality. There have been rumors of "get out of Japan now" spread from French embassy and from guys paniced after watching CNN's coverage ealier. We formed small groups to bust the myth and those who have participated meant great help to keep nation's capital sane.

Japan is always 0.07% of Earth's land mass with 15% of her volcanos.
Japan doesn't have much natural resource and nuclear power is the only
effective solution now (hope there is something better).
So, we've lived with these things all this time. We need little time and hard working people to remedy the situation so that we can get on quick recovery and growth which we are really good at.

Some investors have ditched us, but they are missing the bigger picture.
Construction stocks are top selling and this disaster did not effect the core industrial capacity at all.

US Operation "Tomodachi" (means friendship) is making great success.
US troops are already helping so much on logistics and rescue operation.
My deepest respect go to them, their family, and American tax payers who support them. Again, thank you very much!

BTW, Tsunami hit some of very good salmon/trout/chart waters in Tohoku.
Let's hope we'll be able to go back there in joy soon.
That we should be worried about
Old 03-14-2011, 08:26 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Fly Fisherman in Japan Earthquake

Many thanks for the 'thumb's up.' I've read too many stories where 'Murika' was pasted up as the Bad Boy. "The ugly American," if you remember the book.

American generosity has always been the first to 'get up, suit up, and show up.' For which we get darned little credit.

"You call, we haul."

Minor rant over.
fae
Old 03-15-2011, 03:22 AM

neversink will become famous soon enoughneversink will become famous soon enough

For better understading of geography of heavy disaster area in North East Japan (or Tohoku region).
Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant is located about 240km north east of Tokyo with 2 states and mountaints in between.
*Number of casualties are out dated. There will be sum of more than 20,000 as police said earlier.

US air base of Misawa is located bit north of Hachinohe (furtherst mark on map on north).

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:38 PM

Measurement for radiation exposure measured by SV (Sievert):

1 SV = 1,000 mili SV = 1,000,000 micro SV

A) It takes 1 SV to cause 5% fatility.
B) 0.1 or 100 mili SV is the allowence for 1 working session of nuclear powerplant workers.
C) Round trip between Tokyo and New York will give you 200 micro SV exposure.
D) Average person is exposed to 2,400 micro SV in one year.
E) CT Scan is 6,900 micro SV

Last night, reading at Tokyo was 0.1 micro SV and at Tochigi, state next of Fukushima, was 0.5 micro SV.

Current status in region near Tokyo is ABSOLUTELY nothing to worry about.
NRC has announced the same about US Pacific coast.

Please tell investors to do the math before they chiken out.
Wall street businessman on regular trips on flight is more exposed to radiation than me fly fishing in mountans of Fukushima
Old 03-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Neversink, Keep us posted so we know your ok.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-15-2011, 06:53 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

I heard today radiation levels were 8 times more than you should get in 1 year and that more explosions and fires are happening at the daiichi plant reactor number 4.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:56 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by neversink View Post
Measurement for radiation exposure measured by SV (Sievert):

1 SV = 1,000 mili SV = 1,000,000 micro SV

A) It takes 1 SV to cause 5% fatility.
B) 0.1 or 100 mili SV is the allowence for 1 working session of nuclear powerplant workers.
C) Round trip between Tokyo and New York will give you 200 micro SV exposure.
D) Average person is exposed to 2,400 micro SV in one year.
E) CT Scan is 6,900 micro SV

Last night, reading at Tokyo was 0.1 micro SV and at Tochigi, state next of Fukushima, was 0.5 micro SV.

Current status in region near Tokyo is ABSOLUTELY nothing to worry about.
NRC has announced the same about US Pacific coast.

Please tell investors to do the math before they chiken out.
Wall street businessman on regular trips on flight is more exposed to radiation than me fly fishing in mountans of Fukushima
Thank you for posting that. There are news people here, and I use the term in the loosest sense of the word attempting to make it sound like the world will come to an end from radiation. The policy with some of them is to "never let a good crisis go to waste". Most of what they are saying about the reactors is not only wrong but not possible from a technical standpoint. Like the fallout nonsense. It's getting to the point where it's making me to mad to watch it.

I'm glad to hear you are OK. As an American I am embarrased by our stupid dishonest press, starting with CNN. It's a shame that you have to take time to correct them and set the story straight.

Take care and good luck.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:00 PM

Thanks again guys for staying with us.
(It's still shaking as I type this, which we sort of got used to

There are great amount of criticism and pessimism. From NY Times telling GE's design was too risky to CNN or French government emphasizing "danger" or "get out" message. As a matter of fact, 2 of my American friends left main island. When it's not your own country, I respect their decision for precautionally evacuation.

But I'd like the world to focus on the most important thing.
There are heroes formed from elite US Navy to nearly retired nuclear power worker (not Homer Simpson) fighting hard to save Japan.
Together, they saved 27,000 survivors and they are working even harder
saving the nation of this planet.

In the North where things are pretty bad, there are children lost their parents. Parents lost their children. Wives lost thier husbands. But they are still strong holding on each other when food is short, bed is cold, and news are bad.

They need help. We need heroes. Heroes need us.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:11 AM

1. Operation Tomodachi Update

2 x C-130, presumably full of US Marines, successfully landed hard on devastated Sendai Airport Marines will clear off debris and establish strong supply outpost there.

Yamagata Airport, other side of Tohoku unharmed, is now open for shared operation for US and Japanese troops. Another group of Marines are coming from Okinawa to establish even stronger supply chain.

US Seventh Fleet, with flagship Ronald Reagan, continues supporting helicopter operations for rescue and supply operations.

2. Inland Comboy Route Update

2 highways reaching disaster areas in the north are now open for comboys with pass from local legislature. This now opens route to send 2nd wave supply such as education material, computers, or any relief goods.

Not enough operatives present on the disaster area, so government has sent secretary of volunteer works first to help establish outposts.