The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly Fisherman in Japan Earthquake

Neversink,
How are you and your family holding up?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-16-2011, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Neversink, I'm very glad to hear that you are OK and our thoughts are with you and your country.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:06 PM

neversink will become famous soon enoughneversink will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Fly Fisherman in Japan Earthquake

Hi Guys,

I now have to re-engage with lots of projects got stack in my work and help other family to get by this tough time. So I'l move on to Facebook mostly, because I could update via my mobile.

You find me by "Hideto Yoshida".

Literal communication sometimes don't prove I'm OK.
So I did a video letter.

Welcome to Facebook ? Log in, sign up or learn more

It's open season for trout in Japan and I wish I'll go out with my friends soon!
Old 03-16-2011, 05:17 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

I hope the news people are just blowing this out of proportion because everytime I turn on the tv or look on the computer it seems to be getting worse and worse! PS, I don't watch CNN either.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:56 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

One example of it being blown out of proportion is the whole fallout thing. Fallout is from a nuclear explosion. It is IMPOSSIBLE for a reactor to runaway and have a nuclear explosion. It's actually very hard to make it explode on purpose, or Iran would have the bomb right now. There are people in a panic buying Iodine pills on the West coast right now. This is in part because of wishy washy statements from the Surgeon General, which have now been cleared up and by fear mongering by people who do not understand nuclear power. The reactors there have containment buildings. Chernobyl did not. The Japanese reactors have halfnium control rods, which do not burn, Chernobyl had Graphite control rods which do. The Japanese have a meltdown catch pool under the reactor vessel which is still inside the containment building in the event they can't get water to cool the fuel rods and they do melt. In otherwords NO China syndrome. I fully understand why Neversink is a tad upset with the BS coming out from some news outlets. Some of them that up to this point I had considered pretty reliable, are ticking me right off.

Now don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to say things are all rosy, but the world is not coming to an end here either. The biggest problem here is going to be that once you start running sea water in to cool them, they are not going to be used for power generation again. This will have a longterm effect on the power grid there. When I was in the Navy, my submarines were all nuclear powered. I did long periods at sea with a running reactor. The greatest exposure to radiation I got during a patrol cycle was the plane flight from Guam to Hawaii. If you live on the West coast and know someone going into a panic, tell them to calm down and then take their TV remote away from them.

Last edited by Guest1; 03-17-2011 at 07:05 PM. Reason: correct spelling.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:22 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

I am no nuclear expert. I was just saying what I heard. I just hope its not as serious as they say. I don't wish trouble on anyone! I am a just a peace loving hippie that fly fishes. just born in the wrong generation thats all. lol

Old 03-19-2011, 11:13 AM

neversink will become famous soon enoughneversink will become famous soon enough

This is where my relatives live, Hachinohe.
Disaster struck as earthquake and tsunami to Hachinohe, yet it is considered "lightly damaged" in comparison to heavier disaster area for "only" few people died and missing.

Please watch following video and learn that this is still "light" stuff.
Take that as benchmark to understand how devastated North East coast states are.

When tsunami hit & after (captions tell Fukushima power plant victims)
YouTube -video 1

How bay area looks later:

Disaster Information - 八戸市
Summary in English

Please do not let this fade out as CNN now moves on to Lybia as if nothing ever happened.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:39 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Incredible series of film clips (watch some of the others below the featured one). Much of that didn't make it to our 'Evening News.'
fae
Old 03-19-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Incredible series of film clips (watch some of the others below the featured one). Much of that didn't make it to our 'Evening News.'
fae
I don't think much more of any of this will be in the news seeing as we are over in Libya blowing stuff up now. thats all they been talking about all day.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:43 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Neversink: Thanks for posting the incredible video links, very interesting. It is amazing to see the power of the water being able to push those huge ships up on dry land even with their anchors down.

Larry