The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2011, 06:05 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly Fisherman in Japan Earthquake

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Neversink: Thanks for posting the incredible video links, very interesting. It is amazing to see the power of the water being able to push those huge ships up on dry land even with their anchors down.

Larry
Yes, when the waves come in that fast, there's no time for the ships to swing on their moorings; so they list on their side and get pushed sideways by the water!

Pocono
Old 03-20-2011, 07:02 AM

neversink will become famous soon enoughneversink will become famous soon enough

Panic in Tokyo has come down to mild level, as Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant is becoming stabilized slowly. People are still upset deep down though, but at least we all share the sense of safety and security to make nation's capital strong.

In the north, low supply forces people to go back to shelters again.
Now 340K refugees and expecting additional 200K evacuating from contaminated 30km radius from Fukushima nuclear power plant. It's making survival a challenge and not all of them could affor to face the challenge.

I have talked with a group of young doctors in the north who have witnessed patients dying every hour due to low on water, medicine, electricity, and the worst of all, no fuel priority given to them to run emergency vehicle. Troops are prioritizing saving lives from washed out towns and villages, and they had to make decision to de-prioritize weak people.

Now special fuel trains and medicine comboy have reached there. So let's hope we don't sacrifice weak ones.

Why such hard measure? Please learn from what happened to the town of Minami Sanriku, one of the worst disaster spots, completely destroyed by tsunami. Population of 17K was turned into 10K refugees, 2K dead, and 5K still missing. Nowhere near recovery which is the hard reality.

When it happened

...The day after

When water receeded town is gone
Old 03-20-2011, 06:09 PM

boser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura about

Neversink, I feel for you and all of the people suffering in Japan, I can only offer prayers and hope that relief will come soon. I understand the Nuclear problems as I have worked in the Nuclear field for 34 years. Although most of my experience is with a Presurized Water Reactor and not the Boiling Water Reactor(s) that are damaged, I know about what is going on. No immediate risk as the officials are protecting the people by monitoring and setting up boundaries. I do appreciate your efforts of letting us know what the conditions are. No matter how well things are built, you cannot be prepared for the unexpected. Be well my friend and God Bless,

Boser
Old 03-24-2011, 01:07 PM

neversink will become famous soon enoughneversink will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Fly Fisherman in Japan Earthquake

Hi Friends,

Prayer in any form is absolutely helpful on top be being American tax payers who are supporting Operation Tomodachi and task force sent for nuclear power plant accidents.

I pray every day for the refugees and missing to receive proper support and chance for survival. I pray every night for the heroes and their family to stay safe while giving so much.

Now 2 weeks past. I had been hectically busy and vigilante.
2nd wave of rescue, medical team and mental care are active in disaster area. Some refugees are moving to temporary housings.

I caught bad cold with terrible cough, so I'll rest a bit to regain my strength for what the 3rd week will be. My wife and sons are on their spring break back at her parent's home in Western Japan where no worries about diaster or radiation. So, I'll take my break, and think of what can be done to help the recovery.

Next time I post, I'm sure I'll be back to normal fly fisherman.
God bless America. God bless Japan.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:06 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Fly Fisherman in Japan Earthquake

Hang in Bro, Hang in!

Is there ANYTHING the 'we' can do to help you/family?

JUST ASK!

Fred
Old 04-02-2011, 05:18 AM

2 April, 3 weeks past the major quake.
28K dead or missing. Refugees are down to 170K excluding ones stack near Fukushima Plant.

We still get mild (sorry that's when you get used to it, for we had more than 800 small or medium quakes since 11th) tremors, and I just felt one whose source is randomly close to Tokyo. Those crevice and dislocation deep in earth are stimulated by the recent crash of crustal plate. Nothing major, but it's annoying.

Tokyo is absolutely sane, except bit of worries over Fukushima and the dark mood of country in crisis. We do what we can. And we can't let our local fly fishing community go out of business either, so my friend and I are going out tonight for sea bass fly fishing in Tokyo Bay

---
I learnt about the first American victim, Taylor Anderson (24).
It is very sad to hear that she was struck by tsunami on bicycle home after leading her students to safety. Ishinomaki was struck by tsunami several times after the quake and 2/3 of the city was destroyed.

Please save your prayer for her and her family.
Thank you for your country's great help to Japan.

Regards,
Old 04-02-2011, 09:43 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Neversink: We are definitely praying for the people of Japan! The enormity of this whole disaster is hard to comprehend the misery that so many people are enduring. Hang in there and God Bless you, your family and the Japanese nation!

Larry