The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 05:25 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough
Default Havana good time - fly fishing Cuba

This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: Havana good time - fly fishing Cuba

Here is my report from a recent trip earlier this month to the Jardines de la Reina area of Cuba targeting bonefish, tarpon and the elusive permit.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Havana good time - fly fishing Cuba

Hi Paul,

It is great that you and your dad got to share this adventure. Looks like a wonderful trip and not as crowded as some other Bone locations. I sure can appreciate having a nice floating hotel to come back to at the end of the day. Are we going to see more pictures?

Frank
Old 03-22-2011, 08:34 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Paul: That was a great trip report of the Jardines de la Reina chain flats fishing and the floating hotel looks like a fine place for a fishing stay, thanks for sharing!

Larry

Old 03-23-2011, 05:00 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough

Thanks guys - I will try and get some more photos up in due course. Just finished converting them all last night but still have some tidying to do.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:37 PM

captwayne1 is on a distinguished road

What a great trip that must have been! I'm traveling to Havana in April for an Educational/Cultural tour and would love to do some fly fishing. Are there any local guides or outfitters that might accommodate me for one day of fishing?

Thanks,

Wayne
Old 01-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum Capt. Wayne.

I think it's still illegal to go to Cuba from here. I think I'd just do the Keys instead. Keep our money here. I would like to see the photos though.
imxer and fredaevans like this.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:46 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

I am sorry that I have not read your article. As much as I would love to head for some great inshore FF I will keep my money in the States and would much prefer to see others to do the same.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:27 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Editor View Post
Thanks guys - I will try and get some more photos up in due course. Just finished converting them all last night but still have some tidying to do.

Paul, great article and thanks for sharing. If possible would love to see some close-ups of the three flies that did most of the catching.

Dave
Old 01-10-2013, 03:50 AM
Editor

Hi Dave,

Not sure I have a larger close up I can share right now but will have a look at home.

What I can tell you is that the tarpon fly is a chartreuse toad fly variant and the permit fly is the famous Avalon fly. Right this second the exact bonefish pattern escapes me - sorry.

Paul
Old 01-10-2013, 05:38 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Welcome to the forum Capt. Wayne.

I think it's still illegal to go to Cuba from here. I think I'd just do the Keys instead. Keep our money here. I would like to see the photos though.
Dan: I'm pretty sure you are correct about traveling to Cuba, maybe someday we will normalize relations with that country and travel will open back up.

Larry