The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 06:20 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Montana's "Wicked Witch' is 'dead' ... for the moment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
there is a lot of big money movie stars and other celebraties moving from Calif into Montana,Larry
I have a lot of relatives in Montana. They are not to happy with those movie stars, and none of the people there I have talked to are either. My Dad was at a restaurant when Jane Fonda came in with Ted Turner. I laugh pretty hard every time he tells that story. Just because you have a movie star with a ton of money does not mean they are going to have a lot of influence. Particularly after they saw what the out of state people did to my home state of Colorado. And that wasn't all movie stars. Lots of people from California, and Texas, New York, New Jersey.....If they are going to show up and wreck the place, there isn't a whole lot you can do about it.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Fred,

Thanks for the quick update. Montana will have to be vigilant to make sure HB309, or something similar, doesn't come up again. Lets hope that Utah can reverse the restrictions they face now.

Frank
Unless Sportsman (in general) from Utah don't start to open their wallets and help fund the fight it may never happen. Steve Schmidt (owner of Western Rivers) told all of us @ The FT3 show that up to this point only $4000.00 has been donated to the fight.

Thank goodness the Attorneys working with USAC (Utah Stream Access Coalition) are working Pro-Bono!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Never say never. If they're half as devious as the Utah State Legislature, it'll be back in one form or another.
Your words are far more kind than what I use to describe this batch!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-24-2011, 04:03 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I am going to go fish The Mitchell Slough aka Huey Lewis Slough this weekend. I've lived so close and stayed away for far too long. Hell, maybe I'll get to say Hi to Huey!

Last edited by dean_mt; 03-24-2011 at 07:34 PM. Reason: clarifying
Old 03-25-2011, 01:48 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Yat: I hear you on that, it is all about money! That is why I was quite surprised to hear that they tabled HB309 in Montana, there is a lot of big money movie stars and other celebraties moving from Calif into Montana, I expect they will make another attempt at restricting stream access.

Larry
Correct on all points. The thing that 'scares me' about this thing is even to get to the Senate, it already had passed in the House.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:03 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I was watching part of the hearing on TV.

One of the chairman was asking very logical questions - the (idiot) sponsor really couldn't answer or defend. It seemed pretty obvious, they could n't let it go forward. I'm amazed it got as far as it did. I think the sponsor represents Dillon? I can't not believe this will go well for him over there

Next elections - I just need to remember those that voted for it...
Old 03-25-2011, 02:07 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
I was watching part of the hearing on TV.

One of the chairman was asking very logical questions - the (idiot) sponsor really couldn't answer or defend. It seemed pretty obvious, they could n't let it go forward. I'm amazed it got as far as it did. I think the sponsor represents Dillon? I can't not believe this will go well for him over there

Next elections - I just need to remember those that voted for it...
Amen to that for all you guys that live in Montana! Make your votes count!

Larry

Old 03-25-2011, 02:16 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Gather the turn out (public) was so large they had to move the 'meeting' into the old Montana Supreme Court's room. SRO and people standing out in the hall (350 some actually signed the meeting register).

fae
Old 03-25-2011, 02:48 PM

goofnoff2 will become famous soon enough

The "Wise Use" movement isn't being driven by movie stars and Californians. It's being driven by landowners who want to make a buck off the trout fishermen. This kind of thing has been going on all over the West for at least thirty years. That was long before Montana was deemed the "last best place".

If you want to read up on the "Wise Use" crowd the information is on the net. You want to blame scapegoats and you'll lose.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:53 PM

To save everyone doing a Google Search, do you have a link(s) you could/can post up?

fae
Old 03-25-2011, 03:23 PM

mfo is on a distinguished road

But like the witch her feet are still hanging out from under the building as our reminder of what could have happened. I might hang some striped socks in the slough to do the same. j/k