The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2009, 10:27 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough
Default How to tie a Palomar knot

This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: How to tie a Palomar knot
Old 11-23-2009, 10:55 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Re: How to tie a Palomar knot

Thanks Paul. Really appreciate your doing this. I've read each of your "how to tie....." threads. Good visuals. I'm going to give the Palomar knot a try for awhile. I fumble too much with the improved Clinch knot at stream side. Plus, it looks like it could be as strong if not more so.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:12 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: How to tie a Palomar knot

Hi Jimmie,
We have about 20 of these knot guides which were put together for us a few years back on the UK website. I will start moving them across in small batches as time allows.

The palomar knot is a near 100% knot - more used for tying hooks to line for drop-shotting for bass or inshore game angling but no reason why it can't be used for flies to and once you know it, it is really simple. In fact hard to believe it is such a good knot as it seems TOO simple! LOL

Glad to hear you like the fly tying how to's - Simon Young works with me here in the UK office and loves his fly tying! He set up a small studio with a photographer friend of his and they were a production line of fly tying for several days! Watch out for more patterns to come over the winter.

Best
Paul